Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Your first Axolotl

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
I'm unfortunately allergic to animal hair, so can't have any hairy pets. Had some fish, and then went to an aquarium store one day about 5,5 years ago...and saw Axelina, my first axolotl. I bought her, and fell in love with her playful,fun nature straight away. She could have been the advertisement for happiness of being alive. But also when I was sad and crying, she would always come and comfort me through the glass with her soulful eyes. She used different facial expression for asking for food, or if she wasn't well etc. Vary smart little darling. But I lost her 2 years ago to a horrible bacteria..sniff...However I still have my 2 other axies Orangina and Blackie, who are bit over 4 years old now. But no other axie can never replace Axelina...
Oh...I hope you find your beloved Axelina again. I'm sure she's still looking for you. There's hope. There have been dogs who have been missing for decades and come back to their owners so I know that Axelina will come back to the tank and be with you again. Poor thing's probably stressed out from her adventure though.

wolfen

Reaction score
my first axolotl was over twenty years ago now, used to have small reptiles and thought about getting a couple of fire salamanders, ended up getting a large male golden albino axolotl instead, named goldie (not much imagination needed there), he was an adult already no idea how old but I had him for about six years. It gave the kids something interesting to look at. since then had a few axies on and off over the years

Conniesbullwinkle

Reaction score
So, I thought why not start a nostalgia thread?

So what i want to know is what was your first experience with axolotls? did you read about them, know someone who had one, or just stumble upon them in a fish store one day?

Your first axolotl; what was his/her name? what kind of type was s/he? Are they still your dear companion, or have they passed after a nice long life? Do they, or did they, have any quirks/characteristics that made them so unique to you?

And are there any other interesting anecdotes about your experience when you first started owning axolotls?
My first axalotil was an albino and never worried about temp knew nothing about them I just happend upon it at a fish store the summers were hot in Alabama and I had no air conditioning but he was fine I moved to north carolina and rehoused it with a friend

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I got my first axolotl while in college, but the first time I heard of axolotls was sometime in high school. There was a youtuber (don't remember for sure which one; I've tried since to find the video, but none look right) who had many animals in their house, including an axolotl. My immediate thought was "Wow, so cute, but so weird!" I went online and did more research, and the more I discovered, the more fascinated I was! I decided that someday, I'd like to have one. But then I kind of forgot about them until my freshman year of college. There was a girl on my floor who I found out had three axolotls in her room! I had never thought of the possibility of having an axolotl while still in school and immediately started figuring out the logistics and doing my research. I didn't actually get my boy though until about two years later, and in the meantime did lots of research.

I still had to figure out how/where I was going to get one though, so I talked to the girl who already had some. It turned out her dad owned a pet store and knew various breeders, so she said she'd keep an ear out for me. She eventually found my boy and actually housed him for a time while I got my tank cycled. Then, I was able to welcome Cosmosis (Cosmo for short), a golden albino.

He's now three years old and GIGANTIC! His current length is about 13 inches. I had to upgrade his tank to a 40 gallon breeder tank and may even need to go bigger! Partly because of his size, I wish I had waited longer to get an axolotl. My school only allowed tanks of up to 10 gallons, which was fine for him while he was still a baby, but he quickly outgrew it. I was hoping that he would be on the smaller side of axolotl average and I could keep him in it for a bit longer, but clearly that didn't work 😂 You live and you learn. As soon as I graduated, he was immediately upgraded to a 20G and then not too long later to the 40G. Now I start off all my axolotls in at least 20G. Cosmo now has two brothers and one undetermined sibling, but he will always be my big baby. He's dumb as a rock, but I love him 😁

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!