Can someone identify this newt?

Waveydavey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've literally not kept any newt or salamander since my divorce 6 years ago, but began to be interested again.
This picture is of my son's newt, he's had it since he was 13, he's now 29. I wonder if anyone can identify the species.
Thank you.
IMG-20210210-WA0002.jpg

Hi!
I can't identify it but I suppose it goes under the family salamandridae. Could it be in the branch of pachytriton or paramesotriton? Here's a link where you can find different species and photos, if it helps you to find out! Caudata Culture Species Database - Salamandridae
It's very skinny, I hope you get it better! Good luck!

Far eastern species - sword tail maybe? C. ensicauda ensicauda.... it is very skinny...hope it pulls through

Wow, extremely skinny/emaciated. You need to feed him/her more. Very diffucult to tell, can you give a photo of the stomach? I think it might be a Swordtail Newt as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back