Does my aquarium has enough dimensions?

Durza

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi

I have an aquarium 40cm large, 20cm width and 15 cm high (40x20x15) is it enough to have a firebelly newt in it? or do i need to get another?

That sounds small, you should be able to keep water quality stable and good & also give newt some room and hiding places. My smallest tank (which is for shrimps now) is 60 cm long, 30 cm deep and 30 cm high. I think that is about the minimum size for a single, small newt such as chinese firebelly newt, and you need a lot plants to help with the water quality.

I agree, its too small. The minimum amount of water recommended for aquatic newts is 10 gallons. Any less than that will make water quality and temperature very unstable as Auli has already said.
Firebellies are very simple to care for, but usually do badly if things aren't quite right. Here is the care sheet if you haven't seen it yet. :)

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

Last edited:
Hi

I found a new aquarium this one has 50x29x32 i think its a lot better and since i'm starting i think later ican upgrade to a bigger one!

Which things can i use has hidding places? simple things so i don't have to spend to much!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back