Baby Newts, First Time, Help!

K

kurt

I just found eggs in my newt aquarium a couple days ago. I removed them into their own tank. Didn't know how old they were until they hatch this am. I put them in a shallow water dish not knowing if they need to surface to breath. added airation. they are not moving very much but occasionally do. I have ordered a brine shrimp hatchery, should arrive in the next couple of days. what can I do to insure they do well in the mean time?

Hi Kurt,

I am sure you will receive more in depth answers from others, but to put you on until then, I would buy live daphnia if you can find it and give them the smallest specimens you can find. Also change their water daily I change 50% of the water in my larvae tubs daily. What species do you have? You can also find care sheets for a lot of species here
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/species.shtml

and a list of micro foods for caudate larvae here
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

Hope this it helpful.
Jeff

I'm not sure what kind they are. We were told that they were Great Crested Newts. But looking at pictures they look like they are ribbed newts.

How big are they? Crested newts are around six inches, while spanish ribbed newts are about a foot. Also did they develop a crest when breeding.

They are about 5-6 inches long and they did not develop a crest when breeding.

Currently I have about 100 that have just hatched and discovered a bunch more eggs. I have 8 adult newts and I know that at least 4 are males. Not sure how many are female.

I highly suggest that you do not try to raise 100+ eggs. The greater the number, the greater the chances of disaster (mass death). Ribbed newts are not uncommon, so you won't have the easiest time finding people to take them. Also, ribbed newts grow into giant larvae that eat like pigs... they need a lot of space and a lot of clean water. Good luck!

I might be interested in some eggs, that if my parents let me. It's a shame to see good potential newts go to waist, I've always been interested in these animals and almost bought one over the weekend. I've go some free aquariums so I have room.

Yes, sharing the eggs would be a great idea. Pleurodeles are not the easiest to ship, though, as they hatch in only 7-10 days. It's worth a shot, but you'd have to get the shipping details lined up (probably for the next batch of eggs).

Benjamin,

I don't know if you would be interested in some babies, opposed to eggs, as they might be easier to shipped. Can you shipped babies or even adults easily?

I imagine larger larvae may ship well, using methods similar to fish. Dunno on small fry, as they seem more delicate, and I think with external gills the problem would increase.

I say raise them to about an inch, and then you could put 1-2 per bag for shipping. Otherwise, send eggs.

I said eggs because I thought this would cause minimal stress, and it would spare you having to put much effort into raising the newts sent to me. Large larvae would be ok.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back