17 gallon Alpine newt tank.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
No, compared to some adults I saw recently they are nowhere near fully grown. there's too many of them for the size of the tank tbh, I don't suppose you want any female apuanus, do you? :D :D

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Love the square tanks! I am thinking about doing a row in my rack at home with 3 square 27 gallon tanks from marineland for future newt builds!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I wish I'd have gone for something bigger like 27 gallons, I kept six newts in the end, but I wish I could have kept more.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I've been starting to get eggs from my apuanus over the last few weeks, even though they are way under a year old! I'm not sure if they are fertile yet, but I still find it amazing how quickly they've grown and matured!

Attachments

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
Over the last few days I've been working on a new tank for my I. a apuanus juveniles. I wanted to give the plants some proper substrate to grow in, but also an area where I can feed the newts and easily clean up without disturbing the plants, so I split the tank 60/40 along its length with a divider that I decorated with bits of slate. This gives me a good amount of organic compost topped with play sand for the plants and a clear area with just sand at the front for feeding, although I might remove the sand from the front and leave it bare depending on how I get on with it.
I planted it with Hornwort, Rotala, Vallisnaria and Java ferns, they look a bit sorry for themselves at the moment, but hopefully they will fill out over the next few weeks and the tank will be as green as 'Castle pyrrho' next door.
I'm really pleased with the slate covered divider, if the tank was a bit bigger I think I would have decorated the back glass with them as well, but the tank isn't huge so I just bought a stick on background, that way I can maximise the amount of water in there.
I love your rock wall concept! Very visually appealing to me! Well done! Thank you for sharing ;)

JBear

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I thought I'd finished with the apuanus for the time being as the eggs I was sent by friend got fungus and I let my group of young adults go to a another friend who was looking for some, but recently I came across two tiny morphs from the eggs that I thought had all died!
I guess it was meant to be. :) I was sorry to see the others go really but I knew they would be spoiled rotten in their new home. The two babies can be the founders of my own Alpine empire!
If they are a pair that is. 8)

Attachments

Davo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Martin
I found larvae from the same batch of eggs in my daphnia tub earlier today, I will sort you some out to keep them company. I will be in touch once they have morphed. ;)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I always love pictures of that beautiful tank, thanks!
Thanks for the compliment! :) I'd kind of forgotten about the tank in some ways. I've been using it to rear some T. cristatus for the pond and just let the plants go nuts, but its high time I cut them back so I can see what's going on. Who knows what else might be lurking around in there undiscovered!

Cheers Davo, that would be awesome! Especially as alpine babies seem to be strongly biased towards females, I'm just not lucky enough to end up with these two being a pair.

CaudataCam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cameron
I love this tank so much! I also love alpines so much too! I have 2 currently and they are so fun to watch swim around and waddle around on the floor of the tank.

I had a few questions regarding alpines actually. I was wondering if there is a certain male to female ratio that should be taken into account with them? Right now I have 1 of each so I'm not worried, but for future reference is there a recommended ratio? Plus about how many can you house comfortably in a 29 Gallon? My 2 are in a 29 Gallon and it seems a little empty for them.

Sorry about some of the egg losses. Hope everything else goes fine!
-Cameron

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Glad you liked it! :) Although I've had to re think it just lately as I've had problems on and off with the ph dropping. I hung on thinking it might sort itself out once the plants got a proper hold, but no, any plants that needed to actually root into the substrate never really grew much. I think the organic compost I used must have been the problem, so after I had a group of baby T. verrucosus in there tearing up the place I decided to strip it down and plan something else. Its up and running, so my alpines aren't homeless, but there's no substrate at the moment.

As far as male to female ratios go I've found groups of baby Alpines (apuanus) to be heavily biased towards females so its never been a problem for me. the males don't seem aggressive in any way so it probably doesn't matter that much. I would say your 29 gallon would easily house 8 adult newts, if you have both sexes in there at the moment it won't be long before there's larvae everywhere anyway, Alpines are very good at colonising any available water body, even puddles and road ruts in the wild!

Attachments

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Daniel Allen
Sweet tank. Love the idea of the slate divide for a feeding area. Looks nice. I have aquasoil as a substrate and it gets tricky at feed time every once in a while and sometimes I wish I had some barebottom areas. Your other tank looks fantastic as well. Looks like the plants grow just fine even in cooler weather? My tank has never gotten higher than 70 degrees F since I set it up and I was worried my plants might not grow too well. I have a satellite plus pro lighting system and plenty of nutrients. Hopefully mine can end up like yours haha.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I actually think that for cold water newt tanks its all about lighting. I don't use extra fertilisers or Co2, but I buy the best lights I can and it seems to work most of the time. Not all plants will tolerate the cool conditions, I just try stuff I like the look of and see what happens, sometimes even tropical types can do well, just slower than they would in warmer water. I think picking plants that suit the set up, rather than trying to alter the conditions to favour other plant species is easiest.
Most of the stuff I've tried seems to grow very well in the sand, and who knows, maybe the sand wasn't the problem for the stuff that didn't!
I'm sure if your lighting is good and you go with whatever species seem to suit your conditions, you'll soon have to start composting all the extra growth. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lanalotl:
    Hi I recently rescued a lotl (i did weeks of research before rescuing) Hes mabey 5 or 6 years of age..the previous owner could not remember the exact age of him. I got him from her as he was or had been picked on by his tank mate another lotl who was bough with him from every younger age, I noticed one of his gills, a middle one at the end had split in two? And is slightly more floppy? He also appears or mabey I'm just over worried to mabey have lost some feathers, is that normal to lose some?...all levels in the tank are fine, but wondered if theres and advice anyone could give me as an experienced owner to a new one.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Axolotl Queen:
    @Lanalotl Sounds like the gills may have been nipped by the tank mate. If he is in his own tank and the parameters etc are all good, then he should grow them back and they should go back to full health and strength. However, depending on how old the injury is they may not fully grow back if they have been constantly nipped at.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Smknmom421:
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening? We just did a water change and after freaking out and whipping around the tank, an hour later they look like this. It won't let me send a pic. The edges of their gills are white and it looks like they have skin shedding off
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That sounds like severe skin damage. If you post a thread on the forum, you can attach pictures.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    It sounds like something went wrong with the water change, so this could be very dangerous. Did you use a dechlorinator? Could it be there are traces of chlorine or soap in the water? (Or for example, in the bucket you used?)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Normally, I would recommend taking them out of the tank asap and putting them in a tub with fresh water, but if there's something wrong with your tap water or dechlorinator, that might not help either. Do you have acces to bottled water or rain water?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    I think my axie is dying, he’s never had any issues before, I’ve had him 3 years, today I noticed some fluffy looking stuff coming from his genital area so I took him out of his tank and did a full tank clean to make sure the water wasn’t infected as I thought it was fungus and then I noticed he had a cut on his belly which was only small about 5 hours ago and now it’s spread to all of his belly, what do I do I’m freaking out
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    Update about my axie, unfortunately he has died over night, he looked as if he was bruised allover his belly, his mucus layer had also started to come off.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    Anyone here from DMV?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Hi I have 2 4in juveniles (I’ve had them about 2 weeks and they are doing well I think they’ve grown a little already honestly) but I am supposed to go on a 5-6 day vacation in October about 3-4 months from now. I am wondering how I should go about their care when I am gone. I thought about putting them in separate (fairly big) containers with live plants and/or bubblers with a fan in the dark and either fridging them (my last plan) but I am hoping to to either have someone I trust come feed them and turkey baste waste out or just leave them out and clean the containers before we leave and have someone come check on them once or twice. Does any of this sound like a good or bad idea? I want the best for them. All help appreciated :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    @patrickstar116, do you still have your fire salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • patrickstar116:
    @Ganaa, I do you may message me if you wish
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    hi.....
    +1
    Unlike
  • JDeslippe21:
    Hi, so I have 2 male axolotls and about an hour ago they were both perfectly fine and now only one of them has his tail curling up and his gills are slightly curled?? But other than that they’re both acting normally
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Could be he's just excited, spooked or temporarily stressed, which could pass in a few hours. It could also be an indicator of other problems. Do you have any recent water parameters?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Does anyone have any idea how to help with high ammonia levels? I have the API freshwater master kit and everything else’s test results were great besides ammonia. I did a 50% water change and I use API products including ammonia lock.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Help! I got my first axolotl two days ago and they have stopped eating. They ate a few frozen blood worms the first day and haven’t eaten or been interested in food since. I feed them frozen blood worms and the tank is around 64 degrees. I do have a filter that moves sometimes and I noticed them swimming up to it, I have a new filter and a fan coming today or tomorrow. I leave the worms in the tank or a little bit before taking them out so I don’t know if they ate when I wasn’t looking. I know it takes a while for them to digest. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge they can share? The pet store I bought them from didn’t have gravel or sand in the tank so I’m not sure if theres an issue or if I’m just impatient. Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu, how big they are? also for substrate, i would not do gravel at all I would either do sand or none at all!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    They are about 2-3 inches long and I have them in a bare bottom tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head away ( that's what mine do) if that does not work try to get some live brine shrimp and see if they eat that. baby axolotl prefer live food over frozen food as the frozen food is too cold for them or they can't eat it in one go( that's if you do the blocks) mine eat chopped up frozen thawed shrimp. as for them not eating from what I have experienced with my second axolotl, I got her when she was about an inch long and she ate every day, when they start getting 3-4 inches long they will gradually slow down there eating. and if you really want to do substrate I would do sand because if they do ingest a little bit it won't hurt them.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Thank you so much for the information and advice! They are eating again, they ate a lot today. I think it might have been stress from the move or digesting old food, I also noticed they ate some of the food left in the tank (I removed the rest). I’m going to keep the tank bare bottom.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu,your so welcome im glad to be of help! and I'm glad that they are eating as well!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AidanD has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: AidanD has left the room. +1