30 gal paludarium build with all native plants (VA) - planning on adding some Eastern newts soon

thecreepsandcrawls

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first paludarium build since a 55 gal river tank I had as a teenager. I used pond grade spray foam, coco coir, bark, and silicone to make the "roots", backdrop, and structure for the soil well. The terrestrial element has a rotting log ecosystem with beetles and millipedes living below. All the plants were collected here in Virginia.

I'd like to add up to two efts and two adult Eastern newts. I welcome any feedback or suggestions to make this more inviting for them.

Attachments

MnGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first paludarium build since a 55 gal river tank I had as a teenager. I used pond grade spray foam, coco coir, bark, and silicone to make the "roots", backdrop, and structure for the soil well. The terrestrial element has a rotting log ecosystem with beetles and millipedes living below. All the plants were collected here in Virginia.

I'd like to add up to two efts and two adult Eastern newts. I welcome any feedback or suggestions to make this more inviting for them.
That looks great! I’ve never kept efts but from everything I’ve read they’re supposed to be kept in a terrestrial setup with access to shallow water. I’d be worried about keeping efts in that tank.

Good luck.

seandelevan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seandelevan
I’d add some more floating plants like anacharis or dwarf Sagittarius if you want to plant some in the gravel...both native species.I find aquatic newts just don’t simply spend their days swimming back and forth but instead chill on or climbing on underwater vegetation. i think it makes them feel more secure.

thecreepsandcrawls

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’d add some more floating plants like anacharis or dwarf Sagittarius if you want to plant some in the gravel...both native species.I find aquatic newts just don’t simply spend their days swimming back and forth but instead chill on or climbing on underwater vegetation. i think it makes them feel more secure.
Thanks! I added some more aquatic plants and they seem to enjoy lounging in them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ltoloxa-:
    Hey, can anyone recommend a good fan/cooler in UK?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nycolebayne:
    I’ve got proven female axolotls available if anyone is interested.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if shale is ok for long-toed salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    As long as its cleaned yeah! You can even make overhangs if you have enough pieces to make nice caves and platforms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My pleasure! River rocks work well too, and go rather well with all kinda lung less salamanders,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinky:
    So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there aren't right?! Like too low not too high, anybody any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It’s very dry in Colorado. I make sure to spritz every night so while I’m sleeping. I have a nifty hydrometer that I got from Walmart. It tells me blue, green, red; too little humid, good, too much respectively. It’s been helpful to me.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It tells me temperature AND humidity.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    MVM1991: Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!