Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

30 gal paludarium build with all native plants (VA) - planning on adding some Eastern newts soon

thecreepsandcrawls

Reaction score
This is my first paludarium build since a 55 gal river tank I had as a teenager. I used pond grade spray foam, coco coir, bark, and silicone to make the "roots", backdrop, and structure for the soil well. The terrestrial element has a rotting log ecosystem with beetles and millipedes living below. All the plants were collected here in Virginia.

I'd like to add up to two efts and two adult Eastern newts. I welcome any feedback or suggestions to make this more inviting for them.

Attachments

• 20200801_140725.jpeg
    20200801_140725.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,113

MnGuy

Reaction score
This is my first paludarium build since a 55 gal river tank I had as a teenager. I used pond grade spray foam, coco coir, bark, and silicone to make the "roots", backdrop, and structure for the soil well. The terrestrial element has a rotting log ecosystem with beetles and millipedes living below. All the plants were collected here in Virginia.

I'd like to add up to two efts and two adult Eastern newts. I welcome any feedback or suggestions to make this more inviting for them.

That looks great! I’ve never kept efts but from everything I’ve read they’re supposed to be kept in a terrestrial setup with access to shallow water. I’d be worried about keeping efts in that tank.

Good luck.

seandelevan

Reaction score
I’d add some more floating plants like anacharis or dwarf Sagittarius if you want to plant some in the gravel...both native species.I find aquatic newts just don’t simply spend their days swimming back and forth but instead chill on or climbing on underwater vegetation. i think it makes them feel more secure.

thecreepsandcrawls

Reaction score
I’d add some more floating plants like anacharis or dwarf Sagittarius if you want to plant some in the gravel...both native species.I find aquatic newts just don’t simply spend their days swimming back and forth but instead chill on or climbing on underwater vegetation. i think it makes them feel more secure.
Thanks! I added some more aquatic plants and they seem to enjoy lounging in them.

Cjbond

Reaction score

Mind explaining the land portion and how you did that? Stacked rocks?

Audrey22

Reaction score
Fro
That looks great! I’ve never kept efts but from everything I’ve read they’re supposed to be kept in a terrestrial setup with access to shallow water. I’d be worried about keeping efts in that tank.

Good luck.
Yes. From what I have read, efts can drown in the deeper water. You may be able to prevent prevent this by having a TON more plants and maybe ramp structures for them. But I think it would be more fun and less risk to build a second tank. Btw the tank looks super nice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!