Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A BIT OF A BAD DAY

mike

Reaction score
For years now I have sourced live bloodworm, destined for the angling shops for livebait. They are imported from the Netherlands I believe, and wrapped in damp newspaper, and in this state keep very well for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
Yesterday I purchased some from my usual supplier, and proceeded to feed various aquatic newts, and also larvae.
Everything that was fed with the bloodworm has died within 12 hours of ingesting them.
The bloodworm was fresh and clean, and looked perfectly normal in water.

BE WARNED!!!!!!!

pollywog

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss Mike.
I believe the majority of live bloodworm sold here in the UK are cultured commercially in the Netherlands I know the ones I use are, and they are probably all from the same farm. I haven't ordered yet this week, think I might leave it a week or two.

mike

Reaction score
Yes I would definitely give it a miss for a few weeks Andrew.
Here is a list of what I did lose:
Adults and juveniles:
4 Ambystoma mexicanum
5 Chioglossa lusitanica
1 Euproctus platycephalus
6 Cynops pyrrhogaster sasayamae
22 Cynops orientalis
6 Cynops ensicauda popei
2 Pachytriton labiatus
6 Paramesotriton fuzhongensis
6 Paramesotriton caudopunctatus
2 Mertensiella caucasica
5 Tylototriton verrucosus
7 Triturus karelinii
10 Triturus a. alpestris
10 Triturus a. apuanus
12 Triturus italicus
17 Notopthalmus v. viridescens
9 Hymenochirus boettgeri

Larvae:
Ambystoma opacum
Ambystoma mexicanum
Pleurodeles waltl
400 odd Salamandra, various subspecies
Tylototriton shanging
Tylototriton verrucosus
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

(Message edited by mike on January 10, 2005)

morg

Reaction score
Mike
Im gutted for you mate, but Im also now worried, I didnt see your post earlier, and
Ive just fed most of my newts, n toads on this weeks bloodworm.
I suppose its just wait and see for me now.

A

alan

I've sent Mike a private message of condolence and will do what little I can to help him replace some of what he has lost.

To broaden the theme out (without in any way belittling his losses), I guess this is an illustration of the value of culturing your own livefoods, and the potential problems of buying food in / waterchanges / new vivarium furnishings, substrate, etc.
Let's be careful out there!

K

kim

Very sad to hear of your loss Mike... If the axie eggs I have at the moment survive and I need to find homes your more than weclome to them

mike

Reaction score
Andrew,
I did buy the bloodworm from an angling shop, so they were sold as 'groundbait', and not for feeding captive newts. I don't think that my insurance company would believe me either, if I described my animals as 'fixtures and fittings'.
Thanks for your thoughts anyway.
happy.gif

J

jeffrey

I am very sorry to hear of your sad loss Mike.
Thank you for your timely warning relayed to me through Morg.

J

jesper

I don't know what to say...
You certainly have my sympathy Mike. So sorry.

P

pin-pin

Wow Mike, that's terrible. I'm so sorry.

Do you know if it was bacteria or chemical contamination in the bloodworm batch that killed all those animals?

mike

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind thoughts, and offers of help, both on and off site....very much appreciated.

Pin-pin...I don't know the cause, on reflection I should have kept a few corpses for analysis.

J

john

Mike, that is devastating.

I know it's not much, but I can help a little.

I can replace your Cynops ensicauda popei - it so happens I have several from 2 batches that are looking for new homes, all grown on quite well. You're acquainted with both batches.

I will also send verrucosus juveniles in the spring if you would like them. Just tell me how many you would like.

All free, and no postage costs either.

A

anthony

hi mike
i have some young c.orientalis i will send to you next same as john all free.
tony.

J

jeffrey

Hi Mike

I have some pleurodeles larvae ( waltl ) when they morph I will send you some of those if you wish.

E

edward

Just a question here,
When I see the word bloodworm, I assume its the red midge larva of the genus Chiromonus. This is too small to use a fishbait. The same goes for Tubifex which are often called bloodworms in some stores.
Do you have a better identification than bloodworm as this is where the answer may be held?

Ed

J

john

Ed - that is what Mike's talking about. I think course anglers probably use them to get the fish going.

J

jeffrey

As a one time angler bloodworm are used as bait. Some of the hooks available to anglers are so small you would not believe it. I certainly could not hand tie one to line. They are used as groundbait too.

They have been banned from use on many fisheries and match waters as giving the user an unfair advantage.

Don`t stone me for being a one time angler. The emphasis is having been.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1