A new home for my T. verrucosus.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Over the last few days I've made a start on the eventual home for my T verrucosus. They're still (huge) larvae at the moment, so unlike most tanks I set up there's no rush and I'm nowhere near finishing it yet.
Most of the plants that need a substrate are in, along with a few floaters and a piece of wood with Java Ferns and Anubias attached. I've also made a simple rock structure out of some big pieces of slate. I don't normally bother with rocks, but the big 75 gallon tank is in our living room and needs something big as a focal point instead of just plants.
I've yet to decide where the water level will be and when I have I'll be adding some more roots or driftwood with ferns attached, but at least it's up and running now

Attachments

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Looking forward to seeing how it progresses :)

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As always, looking fantastic already. I too am looking forward to see how it progresses.

Stuart

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Me too! To be honest the size of the tank is a little overwhelming, especially since the three bags full of aquarium plants I bought just look like a few cuttings poking out of the sand.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
The tank is almost ready for the newts now, I've added a sponge raft that's covered in moss and also some more plants, including three giant bunches of Vallis (Cheers morg!) and some more water lettuce.
I was offered two more newts from the same parents, so I now have four. Two of them are already morphed and two are still larvae. Fortunately the newtlets seem super confident in the water and have shown no interest in becoming terrestrial, even though they could if they wanted, they behave just the same as they did before they changed. As soon as the other two morph I think I'll let them go into the big tank, their tail fins are still big and flat so they're nice strong swimmers. :)

Attachments

bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
Oh dear... I now need to toddle off and study T. verr chins......

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I thought I'd update with some new pictures, the plants are really getting hold now, especially the vallis and bacopa.
As the bulbs Fail in the hood I'm hoping to convert it to LEDs. I'm not sure how I will go about it yet, but from what I've seen in my other tanks it will be worth the hassle.

Attachments

CatSpit

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Beautiful tank - can I ask what the name is of the plant in the centre of your tank? I have that too, but don't know what it is called...

otolith

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thats grown into a very beautiful tank, well done. What sort of sponge did you use to make the raft? I've thought of doing something similar in an unusually tall acrylic tank I recently acquired. Im playing with the idea of planting water cress and a sponge seems like a decent medium to try.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Cheers for the nice comments! :)
The raft is made of open cell sponge that's used in Koi filters. The stuff I bought off ebay was just a square block, but I think you can get it in sheets as well. I just cut it in to smaller blocks and pushed them the spray bar from the filter through the middle of them to stop any water movement in the tank. It was planted with moss and looked great, but it started growing blue/green slime algae so I had to take it out and clean it. I will re plant it soon with more moss that's hopefully free from the slime algae.

Attachments

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I thought I'd post some recent pics of my T. verrucosus tank. The plants are doing really well, especially the Bacopa and Vallis and I'm constantly pruning the Elodea or removing nets full of floating plants. I'm not sure what the floating plants are, but they've completely out gunned the duckweed which has disappeared all together which is no great loss!

Attachments

slowfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Erin
Looks lovely! I wish I could grow more of the stem-type plants, but they always get too leggy. Although I haven't tried any under my new LEDs...

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I suspect the stem plants I have in here might go leggy when they reach the surface. Funny enough this corner tank is the only aquarium I have that still needs converting to LEDs, its a juwel tank with a built in hood so it might be trickey, but I will begin to swap over as the bulbs that are in there at the moment fail.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
The tank is pretty much how I want it now, I added some big old marimo moss balls that I've had for years in another tank and some red leaved stem plants to break up the greenery a bit. The bacopa has grown really well and spread out across the top, it has gone a bit leggy lower down the stems but there is lots of new shoots poking out the substrate, so they should hide the stalks once they get going.
There's been bit of a surprise when what I was sold as Corkscrew vallis started growing leaves that are 3" wide and about 5' long! I'm pretty sure its actually Giant vallis and I really like how it grows up and trails its leaves all around the surface like streamers, I took a pic with my steel rule in front to show how huge the rhizomes are. :eek:

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.