tank3.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 315
  • tank 4.JPG
    tank 4.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 371
  • tank5.JPG
    tank5.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 308
Firstly, where have you been all this time? We've missed you ;).

Secondly, what is the background made of?

How do you control drainage out of the sectioned compartment? I am assuming you are going to add water to the outer rim and land to the inside. I bet if you drilled a hole with a bulkhead in the back of your tank (so it drains the inner rim) only 1 inch above the bottom and filled that island with 1.5 inch of hydroton bioballs, then screen, then dirt... you would have one awesomely self sufficient habitat going on. You could even get a aqualifter to move 3.5 gallons of water a day from the outer rim, into the inner rim (island) and then out the back of the tank. Sorry I just really like vivariums so I get too excited sometimes.

Thanks very much for posting those Jenn....i'll have to look at how to post these pics myself now the forum has changed.

As to where ive been these past 18 months or so....i've had quite alot going on. Firstly i bought a house which took up a load of time and energy. Then our company was taken over by a larger group and so i had to focus on learning everything over again. On top of that my computer broke so i rarely get to go on them much these days, though when i can get a new computer i'll start to frequent the forum again.

Anyway, back to the tank. The backdrop is ace...so realistic. Its made by a company called back to nature and the pics dont really do it justice as it looks exactly like rock yet weighs nothing. I've done a couple of tanks with it now and i love it. Quite expensive but really worth it.

The back section is for land yes....and your idea for drainage is really good though i dont think i'll be taking it that far. I was going to use piles of cork and realistic looking plastic plants and just spray the tank as and when it needs it.
The tank is for my group of N.Kaiseri which are almost at adulthood now....i'm hoping this might get them breeding next spring.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back