Add another animal to the tank?

jul148

Reaction score
Country
United States
So what is the best animal, I can put with my Axolotl so it can eat the algae and slime off of the decorations. What kind or type is the animal if so?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
So what is the best animal, I can put with my Axolotl so it can eat the algae and slime off of the decorations. What kind or type is the animal if so?
probably a snail. i’m personal having this dilemma, i don’t know wether to get a really big one or a bunch of small ones:)

jul148

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, same, I feel like a bigger one is better for a baby and an adult axolotl. I feel like a bunch of small ones could get out of control as they mate and stuff. And the Axolotl can eat the little snails.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Country
United States
You cannot house most species with axolotls because
a) most wont tolerate the cold water temperature
b) They will harm your axolotl
c) your axolotl will eat them

Snails and shrimp can help clean up the tank a bit, but more often than not, they become a snack. Just clean your tank and decorations by hand. Because axolotls don't tolerate light well, you really shouldn't be having an algae problem anyway. If you're experiencing a clear-ish slime in your tank, that's generally a result of too much organic waste in your tank and you should be doing water changes more frequently.

chicco

Reaction score
Country
United States
Probably adult Japanese trapdoor snails, they use them in ponds for that purpose and easily overwinter. I keep my setup heavily planted (to produce shade and outcompete the algae) with lots of shrimp (Neocaridina and ghost) they tollerate temps in the 60s just fine. Also a Yummy snack if one ends up trying to clean their mouth. Otherwise I don’t really see my ambystoma chase after the shrimp so they last a while... Neocaridina are even breeding..

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with GulfCoastAxolotls, you really shouldn't have enough light entering an axolotl tank to be having an algae problem. Axolotls do not need a light above their tanks and should be kept in low lighting because they don't have eyelids to close and protect themselves from light.

Dalton'n'Darwin

Reaction score
Country
United States
What about a larger pleco or freshwater frog? I wish something could keep my axolotl company, and often think about this question as well.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Country
United States
What about a larger pleco or freshwater frog? I wish something could keep my axolotl company, and often think about this question as well.
The problem with adding other creatures is that either A) the axolotl will eat it or B) the other thing will try to eat the axolotl's gills, which look like food to many other aquatic creatures. In short, axolotls do not need company. You can add all sorts of interesting tank decor for your axolotl to explore/find amusing, but they really are safer without live company.

schoudericrs29

Reaction score
Country
France
My worktime colleague told me that he decided to add one large snail to his terrarium, but it was fertilized earlier and began to lay eggs. Therefore, it seems to me that it is better to plant one small one, so that it will already grow in the terrarium itself without other snails.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anxious Axie Mom:
    Hello, I need some help please ASAP. All bets are closed. I just posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anxious Axie Mom:
    Under sick axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • HakuandCoral:
    Do all impacted axolotls float? I'm worried about my two juvenile axolotls as they both have bloated stomachs and I have some plant substrate in my tank. The substrate is very small and breaks apart easity but could this still cause impaction? They are not floating at all and still eat a lot. I've been feeding them bloodworms.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • SunnyAxies:
    I have a question, I’m looking into getting one or two Axolotls and I don’t know if I should just get one or get two. Planning to get them as eggs.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    @SunnyAxies, It honestly depends on how much space you have. Two axolotls in the same aquarium would need a minimum of 30 gallons. (at an adult size) If you end up with opposite genders, you would need two 20 gal tanks. Males and females can't be kept together since they will breed and overbreeding the female is harmful to her body. Another factor would be if you think both eggs would survive. Sometimes axolotls hatch with defects and either die or should be euthanized to prevent them from living an uncomfortable and/or stunted life. It's sad, but it's for the good of the animal.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hi guys I need help relatively fast
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    I made a huge error, I’m about to cry because I don’t know why I was so stupid. I decided to clean the sponge and other stuff in my filter while I left the filter running. (I took out the parts in the filter to swish around in dirty tank water). Bc I left the filter running, all the gross stuff at the bottom of the filter filled into my axolotl tank. My tank is like brown now. I was trying to unclog something in my filter cuz it wasn’t running right and idk why I left it on I literally don’t know. I tried to take a bunch of water out snd replace it with fresh water but it’s STILL brown.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    also my filter is like not running right. It’s not a consistent flow it’s more like little droplets of water. :( I’m so confused
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Is the stuff in my tank gonna harm my lotl? Should I just let the filter clear it up? I’m confused
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Seems to be clearing up slightly with the filter running. Axie is okay also no signs of distress or anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • MorganeW:
    Hello! New caretaker of a paddletail who is supposedly 24, and seems to have been poorly cared for. Supposedly was fed earthworms or redworms, but every time I've pet-sat for her, she just chomped at the worm once or twice and left it, to be removed a day or two later. Now I have a bigger, clean tank and have been trying mainly frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, thawed with spring water and fed with a dropper. She ignores bloodworms, goes for the brine shrimp eagerly, but seems to spit a lot out, and ignore most. I'm not sure I can make myself chop up worms (😳) but I want to help her. She also regurgitated an inch-long, seemingly stiff, straight, dried up bloodworm! I don't even know where that came from!!! All help appreciated. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alyssamuniz06:
    Hello anyone that can help! I’m a breeder and was wondering how to make pellets as well as salmon pellets! I’ve seen some recipes around but they contain crickets which I thought were no good for axolotls because of the chitin. The amount taht I have devours 2 pounds of pellets in a week 😂 so any help would be great. There was another lin las well for two other pellets but I’m not sure if it lets me open it because I am in the Us?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Gis has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Camnp97:
    @MorganeW, Where are you located with that paddletail?
    +1
    Unlike
  • BluFreya:
    Hi guys,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Hey guys.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m looking for another fire Sal. Any available at the moment?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I also want to get a Kaiser newt! 👏🏽
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kstimson97:
    I have had an axolotl hatch from its egg it's Friday today and they were only laid on Saturday this little lotl has appeared to lose its egg sack and is swimming in like a circle every now and then is this normal?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Super rare but I was looking for an Iranian Kaiser newt. If anyone has any info please send me a PM
    +1
    Unlike
    jnerdx: Super rare but I was looking for an Iranian Kaiser newt. If anyone has any info please send me a PM +1