Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Add another animal to the tank?

jul148

Reaction score
So what is the best animal, I can put with my Axolotl so it can eat the algae and slime off of the decorations. What kind or type is the animal if so?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
So what is the best animal, I can put with my Axolotl so it can eat the algae and slime off of the decorations. What kind or type is the animal if so?
probably a snail. i’m personal having this dilemma, i don’t know wether to get a really big one or a bunch of small ones:)

jul148

Reaction score
Yeah, same, I feel like a bigger one is better for a baby and an adult axolotl. I feel like a bunch of small ones could get out of control as they mate and stuff. And the Axolotl can eat the little snails.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
You cannot house most species with axolotls because
a) most wont tolerate the cold water temperature
b) They will harm your axolotl
c) your axolotl will eat them

Snails and shrimp can help clean up the tank a bit, but more often than not, they become a snack. Just clean your tank and decorations by hand. Because axolotls don't tolerate light well, you really shouldn't be having an algae problem anyway. If you're experiencing a clear-ish slime in your tank, that's generally a result of too much organic waste in your tank and you should be doing water changes more frequently.

chicco

Reaction score
Probably adult Japanese trapdoor snails, they use them in ponds for that purpose and easily overwinter. I keep my setup heavily planted (to produce shade and outcompete the algae) with lots of shrimp (Neocaridina and ghost) they tollerate temps in the 60s just fine. Also a Yummy snack if one ends up trying to clean their mouth. Otherwise I don’t really see my ambystoma chase after the shrimp so they last a while... Neocaridina are even breeding..

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I agree with GulfCoastAxolotls, you really shouldn't have enough light entering an axolotl tank to be having an algae problem. Axolotls do not need a light above their tanks and should be kept in low lighting because they don't have eyelids to close and protect themselves from light.

Dalton'n'Darwin

Reaction score
What about a larger pleco or freshwater frog? I wish something could keep my axolotl company, and often think about this question as well.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
What about a larger pleco or freshwater frog? I wish something could keep my axolotl company, and often think about this question as well.
The problem with adding other creatures is that either A) the axolotl will eat it or B) the other thing will try to eat the axolotl's gills, which look like food to many other aquatic creatures. In short, axolotls do not need company. You can add all sorts of interesting tank decor for your axolotl to explore/find amusing, but they really are safer without live company.

schoudericrs29

Reaction score
My worktime colleague told me that he decided to add one large snail to his terrarium, but it was fertilized earlier and began to lay eggs. Therefore, it seems to me that it is better to plant one small one, so that it will already grow in the terrarium itself without other snails.

Last edited:

RJF9020

Reaction score
Ghost shrimp are always my tank mate of choice.. very cheap (.40-.60 cents) keep the tank clean, funny to watch, most of the time too transparent or quick for axolotl to catch, but some will make the mistake of getting close enough and then your axi has a snack.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!