Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Add another animal to the tank?

jul148

Reaction score
So what is the best animal, I can put with my Axolotl so it can eat the algae and slime off of the decorations. What kind or type is the animal if so?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
So what is the best animal, I can put with my Axolotl so it can eat the algae and slime off of the decorations. What kind or type is the animal if so?
probably a snail. i’m personal having this dilemma, i don’t know wether to get a really big one or a bunch of small ones:)

jul148

Reaction score
Yeah, same, I feel like a bigger one is better for a baby and an adult axolotl. I feel like a bunch of small ones could get out of control as they mate and stuff. And the Axolotl can eat the little snails.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
You cannot house most species with axolotls because
a) most wont tolerate the cold water temperature
b) They will harm your axolotl
c) your axolotl will eat them

Snails and shrimp can help clean up the tank a bit, but more often than not, they become a snack. Just clean your tank and decorations by hand. Because axolotls don't tolerate light well, you really shouldn't be having an algae problem anyway. If you're experiencing a clear-ish slime in your tank, that's generally a result of too much organic waste in your tank and you should be doing water changes more frequently.

chicco

Reaction score
Probably adult Japanese trapdoor snails, they use them in ponds for that purpose and easily overwinter. I keep my setup heavily planted (to produce shade and outcompete the algae) with lots of shrimp (Neocaridina and ghost) they tollerate temps in the 60s just fine. Also a Yummy snack if one ends up trying to clean their mouth. Otherwise I don’t really see my ambystoma chase after the shrimp so they last a while... Neocaridina are even breeding..

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I agree with GulfCoastAxolotls, you really shouldn't have enough light entering an axolotl tank to be having an algae problem. Axolotls do not need a light above their tanks and should be kept in low lighting because they don't have eyelids to close and protect themselves from light.

Dalton'n'Darwin

Reaction score
What about a larger pleco or freshwater frog? I wish something could keep my axolotl company, and often think about this question as well.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
What about a larger pleco or freshwater frog? I wish something could keep my axolotl company, and often think about this question as well.
The problem with adding other creatures is that either A) the axolotl will eat it or B) the other thing will try to eat the axolotl's gills, which look like food to many other aquatic creatures. In short, axolotls do not need company. You can add all sorts of interesting tank decor for your axolotl to explore/find amusing, but they really are safer without live company.

schoudericrs29

Reaction score
My worktime colleague told me that he decided to add one large snail to his terrarium, but it was fertilized earlier and began to lay eggs. Therefore, it seems to me that it is better to plant one small one, so that it will already grow in the terrarium itself without other snails.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jokerjay:
    My son and I have been looking for a water dog/tiger salamander for quite some time now with no luck has anybody know how or where to find any
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    @axolotl nerd, where can I find waterdogs or tiger salamanders my son has wanted one for a long time and I've been searching high and low with no luck
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Jokerjay, its a good idea to tell people where you are from. This is an international group. I have eastern tigers, im in the uk.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Jokerjay, as in water dogs do you mean axolotls? i suggest very heavy research and a fully cycled tank before even considering purchasing one
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Axolotls are amazing until they get sick and then they’re a pain in the backside to treat - I recently lost two axolotls due to unknown causes
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own at-home project together.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i highly recommend “buyanaxolotl.com”- ive purchased from them and received a beautiful animal for relatively cheap, in great condition, and excellent shipping precautions. the breeders are a couple living in georgia (i believe, don’t quite remember) and they’re fantastic. sometimes their website contact page doesn’t work, so i’d probably try just emailing them. good luck and happy hunting!
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    do those aquarium fans work well for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sheryl Fraser:
    My little guy got stuck in the filter yesterday. His back leg is red. Will this heal
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Z-One has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Any recommendations on a water chiller for a 10gallon but will work for a 20gal when I decide to upgrade?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinc Tank:
    Anybody working with and breeding Salamandra salamandra salamandra?
    +2
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    heh
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alexmcc:
    Hi all I'm new here I'm just looking some advise on cycle witch is currently driving me insane . So we are week 8 I'm dosing daily with 4pp of amonia and for the last week has been dropping to zero witch I no is good. But my question is my nitrites are sitting at between 0.50 and 1.0 PM and nitrates are between 10 and 20 and neither of these seem to be dropping. I have done 2 40% water changes a few days ago and no change the only thing I can think of is I didnt use the seachem stability stuff which I have now ordered but surely that shouldn't have much difference this far into cycling
    +1
    Unlike
  • ytz13513:
    Dropping ammonia with rising nitrate and nitrite is good. It means the nitrifying bacteria is working. You just have to remove the nitrate from the water doing water changes. The level of nitrates is high and the nitrate is also high. The nitrite will be converted to nitrate using the beneficial bacteria and you can add them using quick start or allowing them to naturally grow in the tank. The latter option will take longer. The nitrate can be used by plants, so live plants can decrease the levels, but I would do a water change to get the nitrate at a level that is lower than 5 ppm. 5ppm of nitrate is natural and a good place.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EvankingM:
    New here. hope this is the right place to post my question. I had 27 axolotyls aged 2-3 months old. main food has been finely chopped up bloodworms. no problems. I decided to introduce earthworms from my earthworm compost bin for variety. I finely chopped up 4 small earthworms and fed them to the babies. Within an hour 20 of the babies were dead. The remaining 7 (the smaller babies) survived and are now fine on bloodworms. Any ideas why the chopped up earthworms killed many of the babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Lyv3wyr3 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    oh wow this place got a makeover
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Yeah baby!
    CalculatingEducatedKingfisher-size_restricted.gif
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    John has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    John has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Bellabelloo:
    Looks really good. 😊
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    i agree
    +1
    Unlike
  • BrodieBAxolotls:
    love the new look
    +1
    Unlike
  • noahc808:
    does anyone know if fairy shrimp are good to use with axolotls?
    +1
    Unlike
    noahc808: does anyone know if fairy shrimp are good to use with axolotls? +1