Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice on kaiseri spawning substrates please

Tappers

Reaction score
With their first aquatic spring ahead, I'm in the process of putting together a set-up for my kaiseri. Having seen them deposit eggs on various things from heads of state to moss and plastic plants I wondered if any breeders could steer me towards a favourite?

They'll have plenty of rockwork in there but I was hoping there might be something that I could easily move to a rearing tank with minimal disruption. Are the adults likely to eat any eggs of larvae that remain unnoticed?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I like to use yarn spawning mops. I pick the kaiseri eggs off of the mop and put them in a hatching tank.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Given the choice between rocks and plastic plants mine always go for the plants. I use mats of this stuff and the females tunnel through it hiding eggs amongst the leaves. To remove the eggs just turn the mat upside down and use a turkey baster to suck them off.

They are not big egg eaters in my experience.

salvoz

Reaction score
Mine would lay on anything (plants, bare glass bottom, rocks, ornaments, etc.); it really didn't seem to matter. Although it may have happened, I never saw egg eating. I wouldn't worry about that.

Joe Blecha

Reaction score
Mine lay most of their eggs in crevices on limestone rock. A friend of mine cut groves into the rock varying from 1/8-1/2" deep and about 1/8" wide. I've used live and fake plants which they also use, the rocks definitely get more eggs deposited on them in my experience though.

velasco13000

Reaction score
All of mine only laid on plants I had... They laid 0 on rocks or the filter..

Davo

Reaction score
Mine layed anywhere, rocks,plants, filter inlet under floating cork island.
I just removed them with a turkey baster, they come away very easy. I always left some eggs in and these were never eaten, once they hatched the larvae were never eaten. :happy:

Kayvon

Reaction score
Mine lay most of their eggs in crevices on limestone rock. A friend of mine cut groves into the rock varying from 1/8-1/2" deep and about 1/8" wide. I've used live and fake plants which they also use, the rocks definitely get more eggs deposited on them in my experience though.

I just read this and was really disappointed that someone else had that idea. Then I saw it was you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!