Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aeration needed to hatch shrimp?

D

deb

I have precious axolotl eggs a couple of days from hatching (they're already thrashing around in the jelly) so we've rigged up a shrimp hatchery. The problem is the pump connected to the hatchery - it seems to be churning up the water to an alarming degree. It is designed for a tank of 19 litres so is it just too strong? Should I just not aerate at all or get a smaller pump? Please help.

J

joseph

That is fine. The water should look like it is boiling to get the best hatch.

J

jennifer

I would say it should be a gentle boil. I think you probably do have too much air. You don't need a smaller pump, you just need some kind of air tubing splitter device, or a gang valve. Do a Google images search for "gang valve" and you will see what I'm talking about.

D

deb

I'm off to the pet shop on a hunt for gang valves - thanks very much.

D

deb

Joy of joys! What a wonderful thing a gang valve is Jennifer. Thank you. And now we have bronze coloured egg shells over the surface of the hatchery and little shimmery things toward the base (the shrimp I guess). Best technique for removing shells and retrieving shrimp?? And how long will they live in the freshwater will newly hatched axies?

J

joseph

Tons of different techniques. I use a medicine dropper to remove them but that is definetly NOT the best technique...it takes too long. Some people simply siphon them out using airline tubing but I haven't perfected that and tend to get salt water on the floor...not good.

They live for a few hours in FW so feed just enough to be eaten in maybe the span of hour or so

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1