Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Agkistrodon contortrix behaviour ?

MN99

Reaction score
Hello.

I know this site is mostly amphib oriented but wondered if someone might be able to answer this ? for me.

I live in the "land of Agkistrodons"....I moved here about 5 yrs ago. I was careless/ignorant about them a couple of yrs ago and as a result, I was lucky enough to be bitten by a juvenile that was not trained in discharging all its venom on a non-prey item. Since that time I have encountered many of them but I now have a healthy idea of where I will encounter them and I always carry a stick....not to kill....just to tap ground ahead of me or in long grass to ensure I keep my distance from anything slithering :) Question is, in the wild, is it safe to move around a usually snake heavy woodland in the colder months....Nov-March in my area....without encountering these snakes? I'm assuming they go deep into log or rock piles to den over the winter months? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank-you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!