Agkistrodon contortrix behaviour ?

MN99

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Hello.

I know this site is mostly amphib oriented but wondered if someone might be able to answer this ? for me.

I live in the "land of Agkistrodons"....I moved here about 5 yrs ago. I was careless/ignorant about them a couple of yrs ago and as a result, I was lucky enough to be bitten by a juvenile that was not trained in discharging all its venom on a non-prey item. Since that time I have encountered many of them but I now have a healthy idea of where I will encounter them and I always carry a stick....not to kill....just to tap ground ahead of me or in long grass to ensure I keep my distance from anything slithering :) Question is, in the wild, is it safe to move around a usually snake heavy woodland in the colder months....Nov-March in my area....without encountering these snakes? I'm assuming they go deep into log or rock piles to den over the winter months? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank-you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back