Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine Newts

frogman

Reaction score
I have been going back an forth and thought it may just be best to ask around. I have always wanted to get alpine newts. They are a beautiful species and one that I would love to set up in a planted tank. But I am concerned that I could not keep them cool enough. For all you alpine newt keepers out there, what temp do you keep your alpines at? I have heard 60s are best and thats what my temps are 3/4 of the year, but during a few months of the summer the temps often raise into the lower 70s. I doubt I could make it work, but ill leave that up to the people who actually keep this species to determine :D

Evan

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had to re home my alpine newts because i just couldn't keep the temperature low enough. Anything over 18 degrees and they started showing signs of stress. They were I. a alpestris i think.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the summer my alpine newts get up to around 80F for short periods and don't show any sign of stress. Maybe it depends on the subspecies but I've found apuanus to be quite hardy in both warm weather and temperatures close to freezing. Personally I wouldn't say low 70's is a problem.

frogman

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I trust both your opinions. It may depend on the subspecies from what Im hearing. Any other keepers out there willing to share?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!