Alvarius

E

emanuele

Hi to all!
I would know if is possible to have and keep buf alvarius. i am a bufo lover, i have bufo bufo , b. virdis...
does anybody has it ?
thanks
Ema

pollywog

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Andrew Tillson-Willis
As its toxins are hallucinogenic and as such a controlled substance, it should be illegal to import / export these Toads.
I think I saw them offered here in the UK sometime ago (possibly 2003) but can't be sure.

E

emanuele

can you help me finding some good breeder to make ma have a pair of couple ?thanks a lot!!

Ema

caleb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Caleb Leeke
The 'psychedelic' toxin in B. alvarius is actually 5-methoxydimethyltryptamine. I suspect that they do contain bufotenine as well- I think most Bufo species produce bufotenine in their venom.

Although 5-methoxy-DMT is controlled under UK drug laws, the toads are not illegal to keep in the UK, as the law specifies that it's a 'preparation' of the substance that is illegal. It would be illegal to extract the venom and prepare it for ingestion.

I don't know about other states- I think there may have been a prosecution in the US for possession of psychedelic toads.

M

matthew

You did see them offered in recent years, in the UK, Andrew, in Nottingham.
I'd like to get my hands on a pair myself.

J

jesper

I suppose you mean your tongue, not your hands Matthew?

Yep, 5-methoxy N-dimethyltryptamine is related to serotonin and is an agonist of the serotonine-2 receptor - same mechanism as the D-form of lysergic acid diethylamide(LSD-25).

Btw compare:
http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=154
with
http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=3503
Serotonine = 5-hydroxytryptamine
Bufotonine = 5-hydroxy N-dimetyltryptamine

(Message edited by Jesper on January 24, 2005)

pollywog

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Andrew Tillson-Willis
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Matthew Dyke wrote on Monday, 24 January, 2005 - 10:58 :</font>

"You did see them offered in recent years, in the UK, Andrew, in Nottingham."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Glad to see my memory is not evading me in my old age.

Emanuele, in response to your initial question, sorry but I can not help you, I do not know of any breeders in Europe working with this species.

B

ben

There is a group at Manchester museum in there amazing vivarium gallery, you could try them to see where they came from. They've also got some Phyllomedusa bicolor,so if you fancy a whole rights of passage/ hallucinogen experience then they're your place! But seriously anyone who hasn't been it's worth a look some really special frogs, and it's free!
Ben

pollywog

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Andrew Tillson-Willis
I was ment to go up a while ago for work but missed out, from what I have heard they do have a nice selection of animals, must try and get up there some time.

E

edward

Don't the native European Bufonids contain similar alkaloids in their gland secretions? I thought that this was one of the reasons Bufo was included in the old flying ointments along with other such items such as members of the nightshade family.

Ed

E

emanuele

hi! can you gibve me some mail-addresses-sites to search for alvarius ? thanks a lot...

EmA

E

emanuele

heYY

hi to all.
Do you think in Hamm i can find it this season ??
Thanks....

Ema

joshfrogz72

Reaction score
Country
United States
yeah i recently purchased a colorado river toad at a local reptile expo, shes just a baby about 3 inches, eats like a monster though cool toad

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HalfDrunkToast: oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and... +1