Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alvarius

E

emanuele

Hi to all!
I would know if is possible to have and keep buf alvarius. i am a bufo lover, i have bufo bufo , b. virdis...
does anybody has it ?
thanks
Ema

mike

Reaction score
Hi Ema,

The Psychedelic
ufo.gif
Toad, producing bufotenine, a recognized hallucinogen?

I haven't come across this animal in the UK, but here's how to keep it: http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_73&products_id=368

pollywog

Reaction score
As its toxins are hallucinogenic and as such a controlled substance, it should be illegal to import / export these Toads.
I think I saw them offered here in the UK sometime ago (possibly 2003) but can't be sure.

E

emanuele

can you help me finding some good breeder to make ma have a pair of couple ?thanks a lot!!

Ema

caleb

Reaction score
The 'psychedelic' toxin in B. alvarius is actually 5-methoxydimethyltryptamine. I suspect that they do contain bufotenine as well- I think most Bufo species produce bufotenine in their venom.

Although 5-methoxy-DMT is controlled under UK drug laws, the toads are not illegal to keep in the UK, as the law specifies that it's a 'preparation' of the substance that is illegal. It would be illegal to extract the venom and prepare it for ingestion.

I don't know about other states- I think there may have been a prosecution in the US for possession of psychedelic toads.

M

matthew

You did see them offered in recent years, in the UK, Andrew, in Nottingham.
I'd like to get my hands on a pair myself.

J

jesper

I suppose you mean your tongue, not your hands Matthew?
lol.gif

Yep, 5-methoxy N-dimethyltryptamine is related to serotonin and is an agonist of the serotonine-2 receptor - same mechanism as the D-form of lysergic acid diethylamide(LSD-25).

Btw compare:
http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=154
with
http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=3503
Serotonine = 5-hydroxytryptamine
Bufotonine = 5-hydroxy N-dimetyltryptamine

(Message edited by Jesper on January 24, 2005)

pollywog

Reaction score
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Matthew Dyke wrote on Monday, 24 January, 2005 - 10:58 :</font>

"You did see them offered in recent years, in the UK, Andrew, in Nottingham."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Glad to see my memory is not evading me in my old age.

Emanuele, in response to your initial question, sorry but I can not help you, I do not know of any breeders in Europe working with this species.

B

ben

There is a group at Manchester museum in there amazing vivarium gallery, you could try them to see where they came from. They've also got some Phyllomedusa bicolor,so if you fancy a whole rights of passage/ hallucinogen experience then they're your place! But seriously anyone who hasn't been it's worth a look some really special frogs, and it's free!
Ben

E

edward

Don't the native European Bufonids contain similar alkaloids in their gland secretions? I thought that this was one of the reasons Bufo was included in the old flying ointments along with other such items such as members of the nightshade family.

Ed

E

emanuele

hi! can you gibve me some mail-addresses-sites to search for alvarius ? thanks a lot...

EmA

E

emanuele

heYY

hi to all.
Do you think in Hamm i can find it this season ??
Thanks....

Ema

joshfrogz72

Reaction score
yeah i recently purchased a colorado river toad at a local reptile expo, shes just a baby about 3 inches, eats like a monster though cool toad

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!