Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma mavortium - tail node

FelipeNN

Reaction score
Hello,
I got this ambystoma marvotium two years ago.
It came with a node in the tail, looking like an abscess. I've punctured it and it stood very small for over a year...
Some days ago it started to grow again, and it is quite large now.
I know from a friend of mine who got siblings of this particular salamander that a couple of them had this same nodes.
She is eating normally, just dont gain as much weight as its tankmates.
Mycobacteria? Tumor?
Side note: There is absolutelly no vets that can handle caudatas in my country, believe me, I tried...

marvo 1.jpeg

FelipeNN

Reaction score
So, I got news, bad news actually...
I'll post it here if this helps anyone with the same issue that is looking for a clue...
A biopsy was done and the result shows a malignant neoplasm, cancer.
It will be surgically removed, and lets hope for the best.

aviark

Reaction score
So, I got news, bad news actually...
I'll post it here if this helps anyone with the same issue that is looking for a clue...
A biopsy was done and the result shows a malignant neoplasm, cancer.
It will be surgically removed, and lets hope for the best.
Any more news on you salamander? If was still in the larval stage, I guess a complete amputation, at least proximal of the tumor, would remove the problem. And I suspect the tail would regrow. However, in your case, I don't believe an adult can regrow a tail or a portion of tail.
I take it from your news too, that you have found some professional help with your salamander. Well, at least an animal pathology lab. That's progress :)

FelipeNN

Reaction score
Yes, we have good vets for amphibians, but only anurans, caudata are veeery rare around here. The vet is talking to some contacts from USA to try and figure out the best option, I'll post it here if something new happens.

aviark

Reaction score
Yes, we have good vets for amphibians, but only anurans, caudata are veeery rare around here. The vet is talking to some contacts from USA to try and figure out the best option, I'll post it here if something new happens.

I'm interested to hear your results from the vet. Your Ambystoma marvotium is a beautiful animal. Good luck.
I once saw an axolotl, wild-type colour, in a pet shop in Adelaide. c1980. Locally bred as I doubt these can or were be imported to Australia. It had small yellow spots along its left and right sides. I guess a throwback to the ancestral mole salamanders.

FelipeNN

Reaction score
Interesting you mention that... morphed "wild type" (we know now most of them are hybrids) axolotls tend to show yellow spots!

Attachments

• axo morph.jpeg
    axo morph.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 153
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!