Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma what?

S

sara

I have recently had several conversations with people in the general herp trade who are under the impression that tiger salamanders and axolotls are the same species. This wouldn't concern me overly execpt that here in Oregon it is illegal to keep any tiger salamanders or subspecies thereof. As of yesterday, ambystoma mexicanum was dropped from the list of non-controlled species published by the ODFW. It isn't listed on prohibited species either. It just isn't there. Are axolotls considered a subspecies of tiger salamander now? I'm living in caudata wasteland when it comes to what species I can keep. I hate to lose my axolotls.

N

nate

Yeah, Oregon is incredibly harsh on non-native species. Oregon does not mention A. mexicanum specifically, so i think you're ok. They do not mention non-native Ambystomids, just non-native tiger salamander subspecies. I bet this was just an oversight on their part, but still, according to their current laws and wording, axolotls are legal.

Tigers and axolotls are not the same species, nor are they subspecies. Don't worry, those people are wrong
happy.gif

S

sara

Hello Nate,
Thankyou for the response! I spent two days playing phone tag and "let me transfer you to" with the ODFW and finally got someone who said pretty much what you did. This is a relief since I'm in the process of adding 5 axolotls to my collection. I'm not sure where the confusion about Tiger salamanders and axolotls is coming from but it is fairly widespread, in my part of the state at least.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1