Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Alright, I'll look into everything after school, I have to stay after a little bit though so it'll probably be later on tonight

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Alright so I cleaned the bucket and retested and, the tank water before and after a water change was basically the same, still green.
I also tested the H. orientalis tank and bottled water, which both came out as 0 so I don't know whats up.

sde

Reaction score
Do you read all the test under the same light? Different lights show different readings. Incandescent lights read lower on ammonia that LED, and probably fluorescent. Though in my experience it doesn't change the readings that much, only by one level or so.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
For each test I looked at the tubes under a few different light sources and all showed up as a lightish green (0.25-0.5) for the tank while the bottled water and orientalis tank water showed up as yellow(around 0)

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Tested the tap water before and after dechlorinating and it came out as about the same as the tank, I also tested the other parameters and they all came out the same as a cycled tank with a pH of about 7.6.
I feel like I should try a new brand of dechlorinator, even though I've been using the same kind for a long time and a lot of others use it too, or get a new test kit, cause it's not new lol
All the newts show no signs of stress and haven't left the water, all are eating and producing waste regularly.
And I've been doing water changes every day to every other day depending on how much school stuff I have do to.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't get my head round it, Aaron. There can't be ammonia in drinking water, surely? It must be the test kit.
I've always used Aquasafe dechlorinator and I know for certain that it won't affect test kits, so you could give that a try. Stress coat is what I'm using a the moment and that's not affecting my ammonia tests.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Well, I don't know what changed (didn't do a water change today), but the water is now reading exactly the same as the H. orientalis tank lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!