Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

amplexus (in CC amphib glossary)

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A form of copulation in which the male will grasp the female in an attempt to induce the female to lay eggs.

**This probably is not the best, but I wanted to get the ball rolling**

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
reproductive behaviour in which the male grasps the female newt with his forelimbs. From the latin for “an embrace”

Attachments

• Canon EOS 350D 707.jpg
    Canon EOS 350D 707.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 711
  • pleuro.jpg
    pleuro.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 606

Ralf

Reaction score
Great amplexus-pictures, Mark. I hate to be a smart alec :p, one small correction however. The amplexus in e.g. Pleurodeles and Tylototriton differs from that of Notophthalmus and Taricha. In the "New World-amplexus" hind legs or even all four legs might be involved with the male clasping from above (!). Any more pics anybody??? I'll look through mine.
A question to all of you native English speakers. Is the clasping of the male toad (Bufo) as part of the mating behaviour also called amplexus?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well spotted Ralf! It was school boy error on my behalf :D. Yes amplexus is used for anurans too. Maybe it should say:

reproductive behaviour in which the male grasps the female newt in a hold. From the latin for “an embrace” The grasping method varies by species, for example:...

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are american newts in amplexus. I am sorry about the quality. I don't know if they can be cleaned up at all. First two: T. grans; last one: N. vir.

Attachments

• amplexus01p.JPG
    amplexus01p.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 473
  • amplexus02p.JPG
    amplexus02p.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 636
  • amplexus03p.JPG
    amplexus03p.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 877

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Proposed final definition:
Reproductive behavior in which the male grasps the female in a hold. From the Latin for “embrace”. The grasping method varies by species.

Any more proposed changes? Should we attempt to explain the purpose of amplexus?

Abrahm

Reaction score
Shall we define the various forms of amplexus?

Pectoral or Axillary: The male's forelimbs encircle the female's chest just below her forelimbs
Pelvic or Inguinal: The male's forelimbs encircle the female's waste just above her hindlimbs
Cephalic: The males's forelimbs encircle the female's head and the upper surfaces of his hands are pressed against her chin.

Taricha use pectoral amplexus and Notopthalamus use cepahlic, at least according to a reference in A Natural History of Amphibians by Stebbins and Cohen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1