Ambystoma Breeding Theory
Required items:
1. 2 Children's/Wading Pools
2. Dirt/Moss/Plants/Logs/Leaves/Rocks
3. Screening/Plexiglass Section To Cover Top
4. Turtle Filter And/Or Spongefilter(s)
5. Large Strip Light
6. A Basement Or Garage
Step 1: Set standard sized children's/wading pools in the spot you will want your Winter Tub, and Breeding Tub.
Step 2: Fill 1 with a dirt/moss/and dead leaf mixture until even the step(If your pool has this) is covered by a sufficient layer. You may want to lay screeing down halfway through the mixture to keep the Ambystomids from going too deep. In the Breeding Tub, set up an large island where dirt and mosses can be applied above the water. Add a gentle, but good, turtle/spongefilter to the water section. Add plants and cover to both land, and water portions. Add 1:1 spring water and pond water. Add oak leaves and egg laying materials in water portion. Plug in the filter.
Step 3: Add plants, and places to hide under/in/etc. to the dirt floor of the Winter Tub.
Step 4: In Sep-Oct add your chosen species to the Winter Tub. Feed liberally, and seed the entire tub with as many isopods as possible. Add worms to the soil, and also begin a real photo period of day/night mimicking outside. Allow them to sustain themselves with no additional feedings during the winter months. Do not probe for them at all. After the harshest part of winter, and before the sals become active, add a large water bowl(tupperware, etc with oak leaves and some sticks, etc.) for the males to find.
Step 5: Depending on species, you may see activity as early as late Jan, but more probable Feb-March. At this time set up the strip light over the Breeding Tub. Males will be active first, and will wander to the water basin in which to submerse and look for a female. After you have seen the males, remove them to the Breeding Tub. Remove turtle/sponge filter at this time. As you see females at the surface, add them as well to the Breeding Tub. When introducing them to the Breeding Tub, put them on the land mass and allow them to naturally look for water.
Step 6: Feed/mist heavily, and observe nightly. You may want to add some sponge filters at this time, but if you have included live plants in the water it should be not needed. When/if eggs are laid, you may want to collect some for seperate rearing. This will give you an understanding of growth rates under different circumstances, etc.
Step 7: After the season, and before the real heat of summer, transfer them all back the the Winter Tub. this will serve as a Summer Tub as well. The soil with be deep enough to protect them from the heat of day.
Step 8: Repeat cycling, and enjoy CB Ambystomids.
This is a theory, I am looking forward to testing it. I think the smaller Ambystomids are best suited for this study, excluding A. opacum, which would require a variation of technique.
Written By: Justin Bear"

JBear

Sounds great. What temperatures do you expect to attain over winter?

Sounds great. What temperatures do you expect to attain over winter?

It will get into the thirties if not twenties(Farenenheit) in my garage. I would include styrofoam spacers under the wading pools to keep them off the ground about 3" or so. I am looking forward to trying this out, and if anybody sets this method up, please share with me the results/pics/news, etc.! Thanks!

JBear

It will get into the thirties if not twenties(Farenenheit) in my garage. I would include styrofoam spacers under the wading pools to keep them off the ground about 3" or so. I am looking forward to trying this out, and if anybody sets this method up, please share with me the results/pics/news, etc.! Thanks!

JBear

This is also a wonderful method of cycling live mosses... As far as winter/summer tubs are concerned. The winter domancy will greatly benefit the moss.

JBear

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back