Anyone know the nutrition facts of Porcellio laevis Isopods?

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am planning on feeding Isopods to vary the diet of my sal. I’ve decided on porcellio laevis as the isopod thanks to it’s easy care. I’ve read the few forums I could find and on it one post said the had no meat, they appear to have plenty. I also saw that their shells are calcium?

Does anyone feed porcellio laevis and know the dry meat to other material ratio? The calcium:phosphorus ratio? The fat content? All of this has been hard to find online and is generally important. I want a good diet!

THANK YOU! Dairy Cows are a common name for the Isopods

I ran across an article (or possibly a forum post) about isopods as feeders when I was researching them as a clean up crew for my geckos, but now I can’t remember where I saw it! I’ll keep trying to find it, but I do recall that it talked about the carapace being a good source of calcium and easy to digest. My impression was that they might not be something to feed as a staple diet, but that as supplement they were good, especially since they’re high in calcium. Again, I’ll keep hunting and if I can find the article, I’ll post a link.

I have P. laevis in my bioactive crested gecko enclosure, and I suspect she occasionally snacks on them. (I actually keep a separate culture of them going so I can bolster their numbers in her tank if necessary.) She seems to be doing well with this arrangement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back