Aquatic Plants For Breeding

Brian2013

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I'm new, just getting into the hobby and am building a vivarium for my California Newts. Can anyone recommend some aquatic plants that are commercially available for the water part? I found some plants for newts on the Josh's Frogs website but those are best for land surrounding the water. Are there any that can be submerged? Any help with this is would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, welcome to the site! Java ferns and Elodea pond weed are easy to grow, floating plants like water lettuce might look nice as well but need quite bright lighting to do well.

Thanks, Chinadog! I got some Java Fern. Would it be ok to use some of the other aquatic plants they sell at Petco? Tropical Fern, Ozelot, Argentine Sword?

Yeah it should be, I chuck all sorts of aquatic plants in my tanks! The main problem with newt tanks is the relatively low water temperature but most plants for aquariums seem to survive, even if they don't grow very quickly.

I have two patches of grass, 5 corkscrew ferns that my FBN's love, two foxtails, and a floating hornwort

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back