Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquatic Plants For Breeding

Brian2013

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new, just getting into the hobby and am building a vivarium for my California Newts. Can anyone recommend some aquatic plants that are commercially available for the water part? I found some plants for newts on the Josh's Frogs website but those are best for land surrounding the water. Are there any that can be submerged? Any help with this is would be greatly appreciated!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site! Java ferns and Elodea pond weed are easy to grow, floating plants like water lettuce might look nice as well but need quite bright lighting to do well.

Brian2013

Reaction score
Thanks, Chinadog! I got some Java Fern. Would it be ok to use some of the other aquatic plants they sell at Petco? Tropical Fern, Ozelot, Argentine Sword?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it should be, I chuck all sorts of aquatic plants in my tanks! The main problem with newt tanks is the relatively low water temperature but most plants for aquariums seem to survive, even if they don't grow very quickly.

Anthony370

Reaction score
I have two patches of grass, 5 corkscrew ferns that my FBN's love, two foxtails, and a floating hornwort

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!