Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ariels babies

nina89

Reaction score
So here is Ariels batch she had in september parents both dark wildtypes. These are my keepers one of each colour, I know I shouldn't keep so many but what the heck! I also have a thread in the FS area if anyone is looking for axies!
photo:
1 - wild type and white albino
2 - white albino
3 - speckled leucistic
4 - Golden albino
5 - light golden albino ?
6 - same light golden albino ?
7 - the two goldens together when they were younger

Silly question probably but is the axolotl in pic 5 and 6 definitely a golden albino I wasn't sure what colour it was when it was younger (see pic 7) I thought it was a white albino when you see it next to the other gold axies, but then when you compare it to a white albino its quite yellow.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 100_3743.jpg
    100_3743.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 255

Dakkagor

Reaction score
I think from what I've been told about my Desdemona that #5 might be a golden albino, they look very similar to each other.

number 3 looks amazing! Love those markings, congrats on getting such a lovely bunch!

jinian

Reaction score
Sure, wild types can easily have offspring of other colors. Here's how you figure out parental genotypes from offspring!

Here are the parents' genotypes as we know they must be because they're wild-type in appearance. (See Axolotls - Genetics and Colour for details.)

D/? M/? A/? Ax/? x D/? M/? A/? Ax/?

Now, we know from the photos that there are wild-type, golden albino, leucistic, and white albino offspring. The wild types are no surprise, of course. The others are what's called "informative" -- they tell us something about the parents that we couldn't have known just by looking.

A golden albino must have two recessive alleles for melanophore albinism, a/a. To get two copies, one had to come from each parent, so we know for sure that each parent must have the genotype A/a -- big A makes them look wild-type, little a means they can pass on the golden albino gene variant. If that were the only interesting color gene, we'd expect 1 golden albino for every 3 wild types in the offspring, but it gets more complicated in this case.

Revised parental genotypes:
D/? M/? A/a Ax/? x D/? M/? A/a Ax/?

Leucistic axolotls must have two recessive alleles, too: d/d. Just as above, that means each parent must have D/d.

Final parental genotypes:
D/d M/? A/a Ax/? x D/d M/? A/a Ax/?

(White albinos are d/d a/a, and actually would tell us all that by themselves. I'd expect only one in 16 axolotls from this cross to be white albinos, though, so you can't count on always finding them. You can conclude the same thing from the more common offspring.)

Now, it's important to realize that there are still question marks there. Your impulse might be to think, so the parents can't be carrying the gene for melanoid! It's true that the parents probably aren't both carrying it, but either one could be and we wouldn't know; the babies would be M/M or M/m, both of which look normal. Ditto axanthic.

If we really wanted to know about those genotypes, breeding each of the parents to a melanoid and an axanthic, then looking at those offspring would tell us. If the parent is M/m, breeding it with m/m will give half melanoid babies. If it's M/M, its offspring with m/m will never be melanoid.

This is fun for me, sorry for going on about it. :)

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
"scratches head".... uh huh.....
I prefer to think of things like this the way my ancestors did.....magic!!
Jinian, that was very informative, thank you...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!