Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie has internal parasite, ethical to euthanize?

• Thread starter Deleted member 42230
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42230

Hi friends,

I came home from vacation yesterday to a very anxious mom and sister in regard to my axie's health... I think he had/has an internal parasite that caused some quality of life damage, and I'm struggling to make a decision about continuing to try treating versus euthanizing him. I've attached pictures below of a very long, white, wormlike thing he either pooped or threw up while I was gone (about a day or two after I fed him a full, cut-up earthworm, except the pieces were larger than what I cut) and what he looked like, plus the oddly cloudy state of his tank, right before I got back. I fed him a single small piece of earthworm last night and then immediately tubbed him in the fridge. Within a half hour, he passed the worm in a normal, healthy stool. I also added some crushed metronidazole to the tub---this seemed to help him stop sloughing his mucus (which he'd been doing for a few weeks and I was treating with tea baths and recently read is a symptom of a parasite).

Over the last few months I thought he had some bloat/impaction (the latter way less likely) so I'd fed him a few peas periodically and given him salt baths but he floats constantly and is now unable to swim to the bottom of his tank or turn around without flipping or rolling upside down or sideways. My mom also said it looks like his back legs might be paralyzed.

I've had him for almost three years, and it's difficult to consider euthanizing him, but he's been showing unhealthy signs for about a year now and taking him to a vet isn't a financial option for me.

If anyone has a hail Mary idea, I'd be glad to hear it, but I don't know if I can let him live like this for another week.

Tank parameters:
pH: 6.6 (dropped from ~7 while I was gone)
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm (increased from 5 ppm while I was gone)

I did do a 20% water change after taking these and am still fridging him with metronidazole.

Attachments

• IMG_20210720_225804.jpg
    IMG_20210720_225804.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20210720_225759.jpg
    IMG_20210720_225759.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20210720_225815.jpg
    IMG_20210720_225815.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 93

Riley_Hatteras

Reaction score
Wow, well is would be very hard to have to get rid of an axolotl, but I think that there are medications to help. I think one medicine is "metrondazle" (for aquatics). I believe that you can dose the tank/separate medication tub with the liquid version of the medicine. That should help kill the parasites, although if you think that it would truly be more humane to euthanize it, you could.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1