Axolotl Fridge Hospitalization

WooperLooperJPN

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Thank you for accepting me!

I currently have my Axotyl fridged. It's been 12 hours and I've already performed 1 full water change as per the detailed instructions on this site.

3 days ago my Axy swallowed a panda cory tankmate and the tail fin was sticking out all this time. I purchased him about 4 months ago so I guess it's a juvenile. It's done this before (eaten tankmates) with a panda and others but this time there was a problem. It became lethargic, and after checking this site I got the tweezers out and removed the obstruction in 3 pieces. There was some initial blood discharge from the mouth after the last piece (head) was removed, and what looked like small pieces of his red 'gills'. He was immediately fridged after this.

This AM, with the first water change, he looked better and there was no discharge in old water. I will initiate his discharge from the fridge hospital with a 3:1 fresh:aquarium water change ratio this PM. Tomorrow AM a 1:1 water change and tomorrow PM a 1:3 fresh:aquarium water change. The next AM he will be discharged after spending 60 hours in the fridge hospital, barring any complications. The tank divider (panda vs. Axy) will be installed by this time.

How's my timeframe?
IMG-56335364d1f4767723a779a4b7306104-V.jpg

Timeframe is looking good.

It's another good example of why housing axolotls with fish is not recommended. Catfish famously do not like to be eaten. Glad to hear you're putting in a divider!

Update ‘Umpi-loo’ was discharged from the fridge hospital and it’s been in it‘s tank for 48 hours now.
It‘s behavior has somewhat changed, it has periodic ‘spazzing out’ fits where it will perform fast tight circles (like a dog chases its tail) or crash about for a second or so, before resuming its usual chill disposition.
Also, it hasn’t eaten anything for about a week. It now ignores the wiggly worms that were previously swallowed whole in 0.5 seconds.
Is it normal for food to be declined after fridging? And for how long does this occur on average?
Coincidently, his younger sibling has become more reclusive since the start of this problem a week ago, but appetite is fine.
I can see why these guys are almost extinct in the wild population.
In my area they cost $6 in the local aquarium shop, so a vet visit isn’t going to happen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back