Axolotl Fridging Guide

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Nanda,

Are you able to post some photos of the axolotls? If you could take some photos from above the axolotl looking down on them (bird's eye view), from the side, and straight on, that would be most helpful.

He may not have eaten as many stones as Tequila. Fingers crossed that that may have been the only two he swallowed. Is Lucio eating at all? If he's eating, that's a good sign.

If he is not eating, then he may be having trouble passing a stone lodged in his gut. If the stone is too large for him to pass (even with help from the fridge), you may need to take him to a vet for assistance. What size range were the gravel stones?

Although bloodworm is a good item for axolotls (and prawns are a nice treat), they are not nutritionally complete, and should not be used as a staple diet. Earthworm is an excellent staple as it contains all the nutrition an axolotl needs in one wriggling package. :happy: If you are reluctant to feed them earthworm, axolotl pellets (or salmon or trout pellets) are also an acceptable staple. These staples mixed with occasional bloodworm will be a good varied diet. I bring this up as malnutrition can lead to health problems for the axolotl further down the road.

rdoyle225

Reaction score
Country
United States
wow 9c is a little hot for stuff in the fridge

Ai

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Really great guide!
I'm so nervous though, never fridged my axies before, and now i'm trying it for one of them has a floating problem. It just seems so cold in there.
I'm scared! Checked my fridge for a couple of days before to ensure the temperature is stabile. I just make up these images in my head that it breaks and the temperature drops.

emmyk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive never had a problem with floating bums before, but today I noticed Stanley's back end has been floating. Maybe he just has to poop? How long until I should start to worry? Does he need to be fridged?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive never had a problem with floating bums before, but today I noticed Stanley's back end has been floating. Maybe he just has to poop? How long until I should start to worry? Does he need to be fridged?

My axolotls will sometimes get a floaty bum if my temp rises slightly. It has always gone away after a day or two.

emmyk

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was hot the other day. I hope that's it.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
WARNING:
There is a horrifying post in the Sick Axolotl forum at the moment from someone who fridged their gravel-impacted axie. While they were at work, the power went off. When the (digital) fridge reset with the restoration of power, it did so AT THE ORIGINAL LOWER TEMPERATURE, not at the axie-friendly temperature the owner had set it at. When the owner got home from work, the axie's back half was entirely FROZEN in a block of ice.
Beware of digital fridges in these times of uncertain power supply. This is a very scary tale indeed.

nilssverker

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Maybe a silly question, but in step 2 (Preparing for fridging) it says "fresh water". Does that mean tap water, not water from the aquarium?

Does the axie not need to be slowly acclimatized, just like in step 4 (Returning to the tank)?

nilssverker

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
And another question: are there any health conditions when fridging is NOT a good thing? Or can I apply "whenever in doubt - fridge"?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
And another question: are there any health conditions when fridging is NOT a good thing? Or can I apply "whenever in doubt - fridge"?
Fridging is usually considered a last resort when an axie is extremely sick, or for when an axie is impacted due to ingestion of gravel. It is stressful for the axie to be kept a a temp that cold.

So no, it's not a cure-all to be used whever your axie seems a bit 'off'. It is for buying time when an axie is at death's door, or for curing impaction. If in doubt - figure out what the problem is BEFORE you decide how to treat your axie.

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It also slows bacteria or fungal growth. But it is not a cure all.

TallTree01

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey,
Is it normal for an Axolotl to go extremely still under fridge conditions?
The temperature is about 4-5 degrees and he's been in the dark for about a day and 6 hours.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey,
Is it normal for an Axolotl to go extremely still under fridge conditions?
The temperature is about 4-5 degrees and he's been in the dark for about a day and 6 hours.
Yes. They essentially go into a type of 'hibernation' mode, thier metabolism slows down, they don't eat, and they often don't move much.

4C is very cold though, 8-10C is better for them but no so good for keeping your cheese fresh.

Why are you fridging him?

TallTree01

Reaction score
Country
Australia
He is a floater. :(
He and his mate have Been doing it for months. Hopefully the fridge will help him get back on his feet. I plan on keeping him in til Saturday. Is this enough time?
I've already seen improvements as he is only floating a little on the tail end rather than full body struggling. :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
I found with floaters it's easier to keep them in a tub at room temp, with floating plants for cover or a cork mat to wedge under. A few days in the fridge should be fine.

TallTree01

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ok I took him out and he's fine. He set some pellets today and is swimming around with his mate. He is still floating a tiny bit near the tail. Is this ok? Should I stick him back in the fridge?
I put my leucistic in the fridge. I'll keep him in til Tuesday. The same amount as the gold one.

TallTree01

Reaction score
Country
Australia
He's started to float again :( Should I bother isolating him or just accept that he floats and move on?

TallTree01

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have made one. No one is responding though so I am posting here instead. :)

icecoolsupersta

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do these same guidelines apply for blood blisters? My axolotl is currently in the fridge but the blister just seems to expand even more. Should I try anything else?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
    AnimeDan: Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as... +1