Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Fridging Guide

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Nanda,

Are you able to post some photos of the axolotls? If you could take some photos from above the axolotl looking down on them (bird's eye view), from the side, and straight on, that would be most helpful.

He may not have eaten as many stones as Tequila. Fingers crossed that that may have been the only two he swallowed. Is Lucio eating at all? If he's eating, that's a good sign.

If he is not eating, then he may be having trouble passing a stone lodged in his gut. If the stone is too large for him to pass (even with help from the fridge), you may need to take him to a vet for assistance. What size range were the gravel stones?

Although bloodworm is a good item for axolotls (and prawns are a nice treat), they are not nutritionally complete, and should not be used as a staple diet. Earthworm is an excellent staple as it contains all the nutrition an axolotl needs in one wriggling package. :happy: If you are reluctant to feed them earthworm, axolotl pellets (or salmon or trout pellets) are also an acceptable staple. These staples mixed with occasional bloodworm will be a good varied diet. I bring this up as malnutrition can lead to health problems for the axolotl further down the road.

Ai

Reaction score
Really great guide!
I'm so nervous though, never fridged my axies before, and now i'm trying it for one of them has a floating problem. It just seems so cold in there.
I'm scared! Checked my fridge for a couple of days before to ensure the temperature is stabile. I just make up these images in my head that it breaks and the temperature drops.

emmyk

Reaction score
Ive never had a problem with floating bums before, but today I noticed Stanley's back end has been floating. Maybe he just has to poop? How long until I should start to worry? Does he need to be fridged?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Ive never had a problem with floating bums before, but today I noticed Stanley's back end has been floating. Maybe he just has to poop? How long until I should start to worry? Does he need to be fridged?

My axolotls will sometimes get a floaty bum if my temp rises slightly. It has always gone away after a day or two.

emmyk

Reaction score
It was hot the other day. I hope that's it.

Sweetie

Reaction score
WARNING:
There is a horrifying post in the Sick Axolotl forum at the moment from someone who fridged their gravel-impacted axie. While they were at work, the power went off. When the (digital) fridge reset with the restoration of power, it did so AT THE ORIGINAL LOWER TEMPERATURE, not at the axie-friendly temperature the owner had set it at. When the owner got home from work, the axie's back half was entirely FROZEN in a block of ice.
Beware of digital fridges in these times of uncertain power supply. This is a very scary tale indeed.

nilssverker

Reaction score
Maybe a silly question, but in step 2 (Preparing for fridging) it says "fresh water". Does that mean tap water, not water from the aquarium?

Does the axie not need to be slowly acclimatized, just like in step 4 (Returning to the tank)?

nilssverker

Reaction score
And another question: are there any health conditions when fridging is NOT a good thing? Or can I apply "whenever in doubt - fridge"?

auntiejude

Reaction score
And another question: are there any health conditions when fridging is NOT a good thing? Or can I apply "whenever in doubt - fridge"?

Fridging is usually considered a last resort when an axie is extremely sick, or for when an axie is impacted due to ingestion of gravel. It is stressful for the axie to be kept a a temp that cold.

So no, it's not a cure-all to be used whever your axie seems a bit 'off'. It is for buying time when an axie is at death's door, or for curing impaction. If in doubt - figure out what the problem is BEFORE you decide how to treat your axie.

TallTree01

Reaction score
Hey,
Is it normal for an Axolotl to go extremely still under fridge conditions?
The temperature is about 4-5 degrees and he's been in the dark for about a day and 6 hours.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Hey,
Is it normal for an Axolotl to go extremely still under fridge conditions?
The temperature is about 4-5 degrees and he's been in the dark for about a day and 6 hours.
Yes. They essentially go into a type of 'hibernation' mode, thier metabolism slows down, they don't eat, and they often don't move much.

4C is very cold though, 8-10C is better for them but no so good for keeping your cheese fresh.

Why are you fridging him?

TallTree01

Reaction score
He is a floater. :(
He and his mate have Been doing it for months. Hopefully the fridge will help him get back on his feet. I plan on keeping him in til Saturday. Is this enough time?
I've already seen improvements as he is only floating a little on the tail end rather than full body struggling. :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
I found with floaters it's easier to keep them in a tub at room temp, with floating plants for cover or a cork mat to wedge under. A few days in the fridge should be fine.

TallTree01

Reaction score
Ok I took him out and he's fine. He set some pellets today and is swimming around with his mate. He is still floating a tiny bit near the tail. Is this ok? Should I stick him back in the fridge?
I put my leucistic in the fridge. I'll keep him in til Tuesday. The same amount as the gold one.

TallTree01

Reaction score
He's started to float again :( Should I bother isolating him or just accept that he floats and move on?

icecoolsupersta

Reaction score
Do these same guidelines apply for blood blisters? My axolotl is currently in the fridge but the blister just seems to expand even more. Should I try anything else?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1