Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl not eating

Shane_Yogurt

Reaction score
My axolotl has not been eating the past few days. What happened was I was super busy last week because I just moved into a new home. I barley had enough time to move him over but I did. I kept the old water and added some new water and water conditioner. I noticed a few days later he only ate one pellet and then spat the other ones I fed him out. I thought this was weird because the tank was at 61 degrees and he had no fungus. I tested the water and found out that there was 160 nitrate 20 nitrite and .20 ammonia. I immediately moved him to a 1 gallon tub and added some stuff to help the tank re-cycle. Ever since hes gotten into the tub he hasnt he bit at the food. He swims away from the food everytime I offer it to him. Hes getting skinny and this is worrying me. Please help me this tank may take a week to cycle.

Attachments

• 20211126_164602.jpg
    20211126_164602.jpg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 584
  • 20211126_164605.jpg
    20211126_164605.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 77

Shane_Yogurt

Reaction score
My axolotl has not been eating the past few days. What happened was I was super busy last week because I just moved into a new home. I barley had enough time to move him over but I did. I kept the old water and added some new water and water conditioner. I noticed a few days later he only ate one pellet and then spat the other ones I fed him out. I thought this was weird because the tank was at 61 degrees and he had no fungus. I tested the water and found out that there was 160 nitrate 20 nitrite and .20 ammonia. I immediately moved him to a 1 gallon tub and added some stuff to help the tank re-cycle. Ever since hes gotten into the tub he hasnt he bit at the food. He swims away from the food everytime I offer it to him. Hes getting skinny and this is worrying me. Please help me this tank may take a week to cycle.
I should also mention the top he is in at at 67 F. I cant get it any colder than that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1