Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Batrachoseps what?

lexmiller

Reaction score
My field herping in the Humboldt area in November was great. I recorded seeing five B. attenuatus.

Now I am concerned I may have mis-identified two species.

I think I may have photographed a B. minor and a B. relictus.

Please help me figure this out....

I have attached three photos of very different looking Batrachoseps

Attachments

• DSC04156.jpg
    DSC04156.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC04154.jpg
    DSC04154.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 728
  • DSC04155.jpg
    DSC04155.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 486

vide

Reaction score
The only Batrachoseps in Humbolt County is B.attenuatus.

Did you see any other sals on your trip?

Cheers, Vide

lexmiller

Reaction score
Yeah I saw Ensatina escholtzii. I believe they were E.e. picta and E.e. escholtzii.

I know that B. attenuatus is indigineous to the Humboldt area. I thought perhaps there might be a small population of the other two species.

jake96

Reaction score
All the pictures look like color varients of B.attenuatus. I am suprised those are the only color varients you found. In my back yard i can find at least 2 varients at any given time.

lexmiller

Reaction score
Thanks.

I originally identified them as B. attenuatus, but upon further research I found the other two species looked a lot like some of the pictures.

But if these are variants then I will take your word for it jake. You seem to be the Slender Salamander expert from your previous postings. I think it's awesome that you can just stroll through your yard and find wildlife. So cool.

I'm jealous.

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
Location is probably the best indicator of species for Batrachoseps. And as previously stated, there is only one that occurs in Humboldt. B. attenuatus is the most variable in color... I have seen black, brown, red and yellow under one rock in my parent's backyard in contra costa county. I have also found an albino?/leucistic specimen in their yard?

I recently found one that was blue... sorta...
here is a pick

Attachments

• B.attenuatus11.jpg
    B.attenuatus11.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 490
  • B.attenuatus10.jpg
    B.attenuatus10.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,178

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
Also... what you found were not Ensatina eschsholtzii eschscholtzii because the location is all wrong. Humboldt has an integrade between E. picta and E. oregonensis. Like the B attenuatus they are extremely variable in color from individual to individual.

I suggest Robert Stebbins' "Peterson guide to reptiles and amphibians of the western US"... sleep with it under your pillow...

here is a map I illustrated of ensatina distribution... no integrades though...

Attachments

• ensatina comparative.jpg
    ensatina comparative.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1,423

lexmiller

Reaction score
Also... what you found were not Ensatina eschsholtzii eschscholtzii because the location is all wrong. Humboldt has an integrade between E. picta and E. oregonensis. Like the B attenuatus they are extremely variable in color from individual to individual.

I suggest Robert Stebbins' "Peterson guide to reptiles and amphibians of the western US"... sleep with it under your pillow...

here is a map I illustrated of ensatina distribution... no integrades though...

Cool...I'll check that book out.

You are correct. I made a mistake with the E.e. escholtzii. Eitgher way they were beautiful.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Hey, I know this is an old thread, but does anybody keep these guys in captivity? They have a Bolittaglossa look to them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!