Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best temperature for keeping blackworms?

Molch

Reaction score
Everyone has them in the fridge, but no info on what the temp should be: the guy I'm getting them from (CA blackworms) says 35 F is too cold. On the other hand, my cold storage room is 55-60 in summer and that may be too warm.

How cool do you all keep yours?

And if I go out of town for 3-4 days, will they be ok that long without attention?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have just spent an arm and a leg on some blackworms.
Mine are residing in a cool shaded part of the garden . The care sheet suggests using a sheet of kitchen paper, 30% weekly water changes and pellet of what looks like fish food once a week. I've had them nearly a week now and I am relieved to see they are still alive :proud: No sign of an increase yet though.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hah, I did the same! It's a lot of cash for 6 worms! The literature suggests it takes at least a month before seeing any increase in numbers. It will be a slow culture indeed. I wonder what the little dark pellets are made of? I've had mine going for 2 weeks now and the pellets do disappear. I'm keeping them outdoors too so temperatures range from around 10C at night up to 20C during the day.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I've never kept mine in the fridge. I keep them in a 5 gallon bucket on the basement floor with java moss, some burlap, and an airstone. They get a water change once a week. With the bucket being on a cold concrete floor their temp rarely exceeds 64f.

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I have to keep mine in the fridge since I live in a very hot region of the USA. Those blue worm keepers work very good for me. You can get them from the same store you get the worms in California.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No sign of an increase yet though.

I just checked mine and there are now over 20! All smaller than the originals but nevertheless new worms. They really do multiply by division. It is possible to culture blackworm after all.

ahritchie

Reaction score
I keep mine in standard refrigerator temps 35-40 degrees F; they will be fine if you leave a few days (3-4) without changing the water but will last longer if you do it daily/ever other day. I've had no issues keeping a 1/2 pound of worms alive in a very small tupperware dish (about a quart) for over a month before I run out and have to make a trip to the only pet store across town with blackworms to restock.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I just had to look at mine and counted 14 and no sign of the pellet I put in. I think I shall be visiting a fish shop soon to compare pellets as I suspect we'll be running out quite quickly.

I just checked mine and there are now over 20! All smaller than the originals but nevertheless new worms. They really do multiply by division. It is possible to culture blackworm after all.

Molch

Reaction score
yes yes - but I just want to keep them fresh for as long as possible, NOT culture them. So..what is the temp in your fridge? What would happen at 35 F - do they die?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I get small layers of ice on mine during the winter and it doesn't seem to affect the worms to bad. Other than them barely moving I haven't noticed anything.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes yes - but I just want to keep them fresh for as long as possible, NOT culture them. So..what is the temp in your fridge? What would happen at 35 F - do they die?

Aha, but if they reproduce they've gotta be fresh ;) Sorry for hijacking your thread with comments on culturing. We Brits are just overly excited to have blackworms in the country for the first time.

Molch

Reaction score
Aha, but if they reproduce they've gotta be fresh ;) Sorry for hijacking your thread with comments on culturing. We Brits are just overly excited to have blackworms in the country for the first time.

no worries, dude :) I feel your excitement when you wrote that you had 6 worms - not 6 ounces or 6 pounds, but 6 worms :nono::D !

I'll be getting a pound of them in the mail next week for the first time and if I'm lucky, maybe 6 of them will still be alive when they arrive, harhar :wacko:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I hear the best temperature to keep them is how warm Oma Molch likes her bedroom ;)

Molch

Reaction score
I hear the best temperature to keep them is how warm Oma Molch likes her bedroom ;)

Well, the bed room being now the newt room will be cool, Oma be damned :) Of course, the worms will be in the fridge, and Oma probably won't want to move in with them.

Molch

Reaction score
oh brother, did I ever get what I wished for!!

The worms arrived - and I instantly realized I ordered waaaay too many, har har. I have a whole pound of them - worms everywhere, in my fridge, on my backporch - I have enough blackworms to feed every caudate between here and Rio de Janeiro. I might have to sprinkle some on my salad just so they don't spoil before I use them all.

Or if I could beam a few over to worm-deprived UK, where brave sould pay, quote, "an arm and a leg" ;) for worms n=6, I'd be a rich woman and I could have some 40 ga breeder tanks flown in on a private jet and then retire permanently to my newt room.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!