Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

best way to get involved with conservation?

pinksmog

Reaction score
hey all :)

i’m really interested in salamanders, specifically of the neotenic variety, and would love to get involved with conservative. my long term goal would be to help with breeding programs. however, i do not have a background in anything wildlife related (tho im looking into it!) so it would probably be more as a private collector/volunteer. does anyone know a good way to start or available opportunities for those who want to get involved?

thanks in advance and sending ya good vibes!

D

Deleted member 40430

I was in the same position as you earlier this year try looking up amphibian conservation or anything involving herps. Here's some organizations I'm familiar with
Hope this helps!

BsalResearcher

Reaction score
Hey! I am doing research on the trade of salamanders and frogs in the US! The project is pretty large and encompasses a lot of different aspects f salamander conservation. If you'd like, I can let you know if there are any citizen science things we'll be starting up!

Kirsten

Reaction score
Hey! I am doing research on the trade of salamanders and frogs in the US! The project is pretty large and encompasses a lot of different aspects f salamander conservation. If you'd like, I can let you know if there are any citizen science things we'll be starting up!
I would be really interested in this!

Ninny

Reaction score
I would love information on this as well Please!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1