Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloodworms Thawed, I Refroze. Can I Feed?

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I was wondering if this is a good idea. I bought frozen bloodworms that come in the individual blister packs on a sheet, but due to the extreme heat of the summer and being in my hot car on the way home, they seemed to have thawed out to the point of turning to liquid in the tiny packs.

I put them in the freezer again so they are solid.

Can I feed them to my Chinese Firebelly Newts, or is this dangerous?

I know with "people food" you can't thaw meat and refreeze it again when serving it to people.

What do you think? Time to buy another pack and not take a chance?

Thank you,
Critter Mom

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't risk it myself. There are a few horror stories on the internet about refrozen worms. I apply the same rules to frozen newt food as I do my own. Bloodworm tend to deteriorate quickly once thawed.

Last edited:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I wouldn't risk it myself. There are a few horror stories in the internet about refrozen worms. I apply the same rules to frozen newt food as I do my own. Bloodworm tend to deteriorate quickly once thawed.

Agreed.

Bloodworms especially, dump their nutritional content quickly once thawed.

While they may not harm your critters, it would be a similar situation like my wife yelling at me for eating nothing but cheesy poofs and top ramen for days on end: It sustains life, but is not all that good for you....:rolleyes:

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Aha! Very good to know. I did not realize this. I am very glad that I only fed them the ones from the older package that has never thawed out. I have one square left on that one, and I will need to buy a new package then and throw the "new" ones out that thawed in the car.

Thank you so much for your responses, and have a great day!:happy:
Critter Mom

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I have this problem too in the warm part of the year. You have never seen horror until you have seen a pound of bloodworms, mysis shrimp, daphnia and a dozen pinkie mice thaw out in your back seat... :eek:

Unless you can afford a car with a chiller built into the glove box, here is what I do:

I keep one of those small insulated lunch bags under the seat. To keep my expensive frozen pet foods frozen, I use a disposable first aid cold pack like this one:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=306624&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod3354921 I use the link as an example, you can buy similar products just about anywhere. My kids play sports and I am a klutz, so I buy them bulk from here:http://www.firstaidmonster.com/prod...ble-regular-size-24-case/products_id/2211?SID

I tend to buy my frozen critter foods all at the same time, so a few bucks saves me the pain of 50 bucks worth of frozen food going down the tubes. I put the stuff in the collapsible insulated lunch box, shake up the cold pack, and take the long drive home. No thawing! Plus it is handy to keep one of these in your car anyway, you never know when you will need it for something other than pet food.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
You know...that is a really good idea! I never thought of that. I bet that was a sight to behold to find that all thawed in your backseat!!:eek: I bet it smelled wonderful, not to mention the anguish you must have felt at just having wasted the money and the trip! I hope they didn't leak out!

I will definitely check out those sites.:happy: Thanks for the links and taking the time to look them up for me! A little investment now will go a long way in saving money later during these hot days with food transportation. Plus, if the insulated bag and things are kept clean, on other days, I can maybe keep some cool beverages in there. That would also save money!:D The insulated bag would more than pay for itself in no time!

Thanks for the tips and have a wonderful day!
Critter Mom

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!