Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bought 2 FB newts a week ago..

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Cool good job! If the snail was small enough to fit in the newts mouth, he probably ate it:p Tank is looking good, keep adding live plants whenever you can, try and fill up about 60% of the tank with them. Also, you can fill the tank up to near the top. The newts are probably very aquatic now, and more water means cleaner water! Good job taking the steps to provide them with proper care, I'm sure you're noticing the difference in their health now :)

tony1208

Reaction score
Yes I noticed how much more active they are and they are also always next to each other now. So the sail could of gotten eatting huh with the hard shell and all? Lol wow..

Sent from my GS4...

AeonMapa

Reaction score
yeah haha, newts will pretty much try and eat anything that moves, one reason why we're always so mindful of the tankmates we choose for them. I've never had the snail outbreak that so many aquarium keepers dread. I always see eggs and baby snails, but it seems that as soon as they get big enough for the newts to spot, they become newt food!Probably a good source of calcium too;) they take shots at the cherry shrimp too but never caught one to my knowledge

tony1208

Reaction score
Lol well the little snail I couldn't find appeared today lol and one of my ghost shrimp is half eaten lol..
I love how the snail look and my newts use their shells as a resting spot :D

Sent from my GS4...

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like your snails are quite similar to mine! :) As for the shrimp, I don't think a newt can bite it in half, they eat food whole. Most likely it died and was cannibalized by the other shrimp. I keep ghost shrimp in my tropical fish tank and that happens btw check out my new tank scape :)

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Removed my snail today. Found three plants uprooted, and I replanted them this morning. Within minutes the snail had uprooted them again. After I planted them again (a huge task in a filled tank) he had uprooted another across the tank. I replanted that, and sat back to relax. The snail then began to happily dig through the sand cap to reach the soil beneath. Off to the outdoor pond he went! Shrimp should keep the tank clean enough :)

Attachments

• C360_2013-10-23-18-19-42-796.jpg
    C360_2013-10-23-18-19-42-796.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 222

tony1208

Reaction score
Removed my snail today. Found three plants uprooted, and I replanted them this morning. Within minutes the snail had uprooted them again. After I planted them again (a huge task in a filled tank) he had uprooted another across the tank. I replanted that, and sat back to relax. The snail then began to happily dig through the sand cap to reach the soil beneath. Off to the outdoor pond he went! Shrimp should keep the tank clean enough :)

I love your set up... How are u able to fill the water up in the tank without the sand and soil floating away and making a mess?

Sent from my GS4...

AeonMapa

Reaction score
It's pretty easy! :) First of course you need to make sure that all the floating particles are gone. This is easily achieved with by thoroughly washing the soil and sand before hand.

Then here's the secret. After you've finished setting up your tank, (you'll want to put substrate first then plants and hardscape) you crumple up some newspaper balls and put them into the tank. Get them into all the little cracks and crevices but make sure it's just resting there. Don't stuff it in as you want to be able to take it out easily later. Try and get a layer across the whole tank. Afterwards put a plate, or a sheet of glass or hard plastic on top of the newspaper. Then pour the water in VERY GENTLY. It will take forever, if you have a large tank, but in the end you'll have a perfectly intact aquascape with nearly completely clear water!

All the aquascape articles I've read talk about finding inhabitants that will not mess the arrangement. I've found that CFBN are perfect for this! I have noticed they will never push something out of the way, even if they are strong enough to do so :)

Read this article! It's helped me so much in terms of setting up a beautiful tank. Aquascaping a Planted Aquarium

tony1208

Reaction score
Wow a yr later... Both newts still alive and happy.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Pics of the newts and the setup?
Curious to see how they turned out lol

tony1208

Reaction score
Pics of the newts and the setup?
Curious to see how they turned out lol
Well the tank is pretty much naked just some plants and alot of water lol... It was a plan in the *** to keep up with maintenance with my two yr old running around and me working odd hrs... I'll shot a pic later...

tony1208

Reaction score
No more plants? lol
Nope lol...too messy man...I been going without them for a yr almost and the water stays a lot cleaner. I was thinking of putting some in again but i remembered it was a pain in the *** despite them keeping the water clean as they supposed it ...

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Shedding leaves doesn't mean the water is dirty, neither does discoloration, they actually do help a lot

tony1208

Reaction score
They been doing fine for yrs the way I been taking care of them....with no smelly yellow water...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!