Breeding Paedomorphic Tigers

How are they getting on now?

I'd love to see some updated photo's

I wonder how many people tried to get Jake to part with some of these already.

I bet he's had a few 'interesting' offers, If only I wasn't stuck in old blighty ;)

Yes the offspring could morph and live on land. The reason these adults didn't morph was because the conditions in the wild in the pond were probably more favorable than on the land.

GREAT work!!!!

I know this is an older post but I am new here so i just read it for the first time today.
You sir are unbelievably lucky.

Well now that this topic is bumped again, might as well ask for an update with pics?

GREAT work!!!!
You sir are unbelievably lucky.

I am actually believably unlucky.

Well now that this topic is bumped again, might as well ask for an update with pics?

Well, I guess it's time to explain what happened to this little project. I was really excited when I found them mating and egg laying. When I got the photos I planned to wait to post anything for a few months when I knew what type of results I'd get from the trial run. Unfortunately, all of the animals involved had some type of disease (I suspect VHS which was found in a bunch of bait tigers around the time I purchased the gilled ones). All of the adults and larvae died off within 5 weeks of me purchasing them. It was a terrible mistake buying them and I don't plan to do so again. The only pics I can update this thread with are ones of the empty tanks.

Well, I guess it's time to explain what happened to this little project. I was really excited when I found them mating and egg laying. When I got the photos I planned to wait to post anything for a few months when I knew what type of results I'd get from the trial run. Unfortunately, all of the animals involved had some type of disease (I suspect VHS which was found in a bunch of bait tigers around the time I purchased the gilled ones). All of the adults and larvae died off within 5 weeks of me purchasing them. It was a terrible mistake buying them and I don't plan to do so again. The only pics I can update this thread with are ones of the empty tanks.

Awww that sucks man, sorry to hear that. I am really interested in Neotenic Tigers because I love comparing them to Axolotls.

Very sorry to hear this, Jake. Everyone who breeds amphibs has to stomach the occasion disaster:(
(I suspect VHS which was found in a bunch of bait tigers around the time I purchased the gilled ones).
What is VHS? To me, it means Virginia Herpetological Society;)

My gosh
That is absolutly beautiful.
I hope tht some day I can do something like that!!!

That's to bad. I know you have had a lot of successes in breeding amphibians. I could tell you a couple sad stories about some exciting prospects that went bad for me. We have to take the bad with the good.

I used to work with a guy who always said "The bad days make the good ones seem better." That guy was a bit of a jerk but hopefully you get the point.

What is VHS? To me, it means Virginia Herpetological Society;)
Sorry about that I should have been more specific. It means viral hemhorragic septicemia, I'm not 100% positive that is what wiped them out, but it's very likely.

That's to bad. I know you have had a lot of successes in breeding amphibians. I could tell you a couple sad stories about some exciting prospects that went bad for me. We have to take the bad with the good.

I used to work with a guy who always said "The bad days make the good ones seem better." That guy was a bit of a jerk but hopefully you get the point.

I've heard that saying before. It's pretty true.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back