Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Triturus Marmoratus

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in breeding T. marms and would appreciate some advice on how to encourage this process.

I currently keep a male T. marm who is approximately 1.5 years of age. As of a week ago, he has begun to spend a great deal of time in the water (in contrast to being completely terrestrial before). A friend of mine - and fellow Caudata member - has a female T. marm of roughly the same age. Her marm has been semi-aquatic for at least a year. We are hoping to breed our 2 marms, and I was wondering what sort of pre-conditions should be established before we bring them together? Should we wait until my male develops a crest? If so, what can I do to encourage him to develop his crest? Should the female be fridged to encourage her to develop eggs?

We both appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions!

-Lydia

Attachments

• 378879_10100358309217619_2027683653_n.jpg
    378879_10100358309217619_2027683653_n.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 542

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can treat them exactly the same as any biphasic newt . Cool the newts for a period of around 2 months, keeping them terrestrial. You can achieve this in a fridge, frost free outhouse or basement. During this cooling feed them well.

At the end of the cooling add the newts to an aquarium with a large floating platform (polystyrene or cork) and wait for them to become aquatic. The male's crest will develop quickly once conditioned and courtship will take place. Eggs are wrapped in suitable leaves and if fertile only 50% will develop.

Detailed information is available in our caresheet here: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Triturus marmoratus

Good luck.

morg

Reaction score
I have found on numerous occasions that marbled newts will come into breeding condition each year after they reach maturity, with just correct photoperiod through the year along with a small temperature drop in the winter.
The last ones I kept and bred were kept in a room where temperature went to around 10 to 12c through the coldest months,and bred yearly.

They newts were kept in an aquatic set up with piece of floating cork bark toi use if needed, but it rarely was

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine are laying eggs now. They are in the shed and the water today is 2.7 degrees Celcius. They have had the option to go onto land, but have been near enough totally aquatic this year. Last year they spent about 4 months on land..Mine seem to do whatever they want.

wargar

Reaction score
I kept mine aquatic year round in an outside shed with natural light. They bred every year, the efts were the most canabalistic of any newt I've kept, regardless of good food supplies.

Dave

firedreams

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The consensus that I'm hearing is that both male and female will require a cooling period of approximately 2 months, along with reduced light.

I am curious as to how precise or arbitrary the length of the cooling period is? Is 2 months a firm minimum?

-Lydia

firedreams

Reaction score
Morg: Out of this batch of responses, only you have bred T. Marms without fridging. You noted that your Marms did not experience a temperature lower than 10-12C. Was this the normal low-temperature range, or was this just the extreme? I have dropped by male down to 18C (from 20-22C) and have restricted his daylight hours, and this has definitely prompted him to enter into breeding-type behaviour (he has become aquatic, and his cloaca is swollen). In your experience, should I assume that I must fridge him to complete his transition?

morg

Reaction score
Morg: Out of this batch of responses, only you have bred T. Marms without fridging. You noted that your Marms did not experience a temperature lower than 10-12C. Was this the normal low-temperature range, or was this just the extreme? I have dropped by male down to 18C (from 20-22C) and have restricted his daylight hours, and this has definitely prompted him to enter into breeding-type behaviour (he has become aquatic, and his cloaca is swollen). In your experience, should I assume that I must fridge him to complete his transition?

The temperature mentioned is the average temperature in my newt room in the winter.
I PERSONALY dont know anybody who fridges their marmoratus to induce breeding, but know lots of people who have had breedings without doing so.[although I do know that some people do this with good success]
My only experiences with overwintering newts in a fridge was many many years ago, and the newts died shortly after removing them from the fridge so I have never used the method since.

A friend of mine kept marmoratus in her kitchen, where the temperature drop through the winter was even less than in my newt room due to the kitchen being centraly heated.
The newts got the natural photoperiod through the year, and bred for her twice.

firedreams

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that my T. Marms did produce a baby this year! I chose not to fridge the parents, but it seems that a shortened daylight period plus my cool and air conditioned basement was enough to trigger breeding. My female is quite young (1 yr?), so most of her eggs did not hatch, but one did and today s/he morphed! I'm very happy, and hopefully next year will bring a more fruitful breeding season! Thanks everyone for the advice and help!

Pic: My little morph taking her first steps on land!

8620_10100503855327049_212036119_n.jpg

redtxn

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Chilling them to force a climate change to induce breeding. I guess I need to research how adaptable they are to sudden temperature changes.

Would you accomplish this by gradually lowing the temperature of their tank or just thermal shock them by moving them to a fridge or unheated room for a couple of months?

garfield188

Reaction score
Looks great, that's one large morph.

At what size did your newts bred? My T. marmoratus are now approximately 12cm in size now and i hope to breed them this winter.

firedreams

Reaction score
12cm is around the right size. The trick is convincing them to start going in the water..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!