Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. cyanurus eggs

TJ

Reaction score
Chris, if I didn't give the plants sufficient light, they'd rot and die, but I do, and most tend to last until I start skimping on the light (though the Egeria densa were weak to begin with and you can see some dead leaves on the bottom of the tank from another plant). In one of my tanks fitted with a special plant light, the plants thrive despite there being no rooting substrate. Maybe there are other factors involved. In some tanks they do well, and others not so well. I don't know a thing about plants, by the way. Maybe we could continue this in another thread...
smile6.gif

John, this is only going to hurt for a sec':

25398.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
I really don't get it though. I've provided these critters with at least five kinds of plants as potential oviposition sites, but what do they choose? A 2-inch plastic strip that just happened to find its way into the tank
biggrin.gif

25401.jpg

E

edward

Tim,
By the way do you know what type of Utricularia you are growing in the tank? If it was here in the USA I would suspect U. gibba but I have no clue what is available in your locale.

Ed

J

joseph

Whatever it is it might snack on any extra BBS or daphnia in the tank if thats fine with you.

Ed: U gibba is annoying in planted tanks-but I remember someone said it is worse than hair algae. Now in the middle of a hair algae infestation...I would take U. gibba attack over it any day!

TJ

Reaction score
Sorry but I don't know a thing about plants and had no idea I have a carnivorous plant in my tank. Might this pose some sort of danger?

E

edward

It is possible as some Utrics are known to capture fish larva and digest them.

Ed

J

joseph

Ed: I think this one is too small for that. Some people claim U. vulgaris can easily down full grown mosquito larvae though!

TJ

Reaction score
In this pic, you can actually see her exerting pressure to expel the egg:

26258.jpg

B

benjamin

The female newt always look like they're so exausted when they're laying eggs. They squint like they're in a lot of pain.

J

john

Ben: My Tylototriton verrucosus will beg me for food while grasping plants and placing an egg. Does that mean they're in a lot of pain? :p

B

benjamin

Well I was just basing my comment on observations of smooth newts in my pond, my own C. oreintalis, and about one million pictures in books. All the newts I've seen lay eggs have been ones that lay their eggs over a period of several weeks, I've never viewed a newt that was an explosive layer, like your verrucosus. I suppose I was a bit over assumptive while I made the comment "always".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!