Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. cyanurus: will colors breed true?

Will colors of C. cyanurus offspring breed true to the colors of the parents?

• Colors will breed true: light adults produce light offspring and dark adults produce dark offspring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Colors will act as dominant/recessive; light adults produce light offspring and dark adults produce

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Colors will be variable from both groups, but strongly skewed to the adults' colors; light adults wi

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Colors will be variable from both groups, but slightly skewed to the adults' colors; light adults wi

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Colors will be totally variable from both groups. Light and dark adults will produce the full range

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Other response, please specify.

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please read the following info before voting...

I am conducting a little experiment. I have a breeding group of C. cyanurus. In 2010, I raised about 200 offspring. As usual for this species, they were highly variable in color.

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture13489-cc-group-juv2.jpg

I picked out the 6 lightest and 6 darkest individuals. I have the two groups housed separately, and will allow them to breed.

What will be the outcome? Will the color follow some kind of typical genetic inheritance? Or will both groups have the same full spectrum of colors in their offspring? Take a guess, and I'll give you the answer in a year or two!

Here are photos of the two color-selected groups.

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture13875-c-cyanurus-6-lightest-specimens-2010-breeding-dorsal-view.jpg

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture13876-c-cyanurus-6-lightest-specimens-2010-breeding-ventral-view.jpg

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture13877-cc-cyanurus-6-darkest-specimens-2010-breeding-dorsal-view.jpg

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture13878-c-cyanurus-6-darkest-specimens-2010-breeding-ventral-view.jpg

Molch

Reaction score
I voted for # 4..if I'm right, what do I win? :)

I doubt it's a simple dominant/recessive because there seems to be a continuum of colors rather than a strict dark/light division.

btw, I'm very partial to those blondies. I dunno, but they are just as cute as buttons (yes yes, the dark ones too...)

Molch

Reaction score
y' know..they remind me of horses. Some of those light ones look like duns or buckskins who are bay horses with a color-dilution gene. Just like a sorrel is a diluted black horse. The newts even have the darker eel stripe down the back like the buckskin horses.

One wonders if dark is the basic colors and the lighter shades come from varying expressions of one or more color-modifying or dilution genes.

But I'm not enough of a geneticist to say much more...:wacko::cool:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think they'll be mostly like the adults at first but if you keep doing it for a few generations (choosing light to light breeders) that eventually they would breed true.

caleb

Reaction score
Is the dark/light colour permanent- can cyanurus change colour as C. orientalis do? As I understand it, most if not all amphibians are physiologically capable of becoming darker or lighter relatively quickly.

I've just been reading some old pieces about the influence of background colour on rearing Salamandra larvae- larvae reared on a light-coloured background supposedly have larger yellow patches than those reared against a dark background. It would be interesting to know if this or other species show similar effects.

Molch

Reaction score
I know my alpines have all turned a lighter shade since I went to bare-bottom tanks...

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, C. cyanurus can shift slightly in color, but dark individuals are consistently darker over time than light individuals. I don't know if they are affected by the color of their container at all, but I did raise one batch in a black container and still got both dark and light animals.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I think their will be 3 color phases. When you breed the light color to light you will get some with no dark pigment at all. These might tend to be weaker than the light and dark phase. I think the light phase is some kind of recessive gene but possibly not just a simple recessive.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Not much dark pigment on the belly of this one.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 531
  • cy.jpg
    cy.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 447

Molch

Reaction score
hey, just wondering: any preliminary results yet?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the results documented. The correct answer was the 3rd: Colors will be variable from both groups, but strongly skewed to the adults' colors; light adults will produce mostly light offspring and same for dark. I am somewhat surprised, as I had expected less of an effect. I will post the photos shortly.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried to make these photos as consistent as possible for comparisons of colors. I took all of them today under similar lighting conditions (sunlight) with the same camera settings.

First we take a step back - here is the Founder group (my original group of adult animals).

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture24708-founder-group-animals-varied-colors.jpg

Here is the group of color-selected DARK offspring, after they grew up. [Note: 2 of the dark juveniles died, and there were no males among the 4 after they matured, so the male was borrowed from the founder group in order to obtain offspring.]

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture24709-f1-animals-selected-dark-coloration-male-founder-group.jpg

Here is the lighter group of selected animals after they grew up.

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture24710-f1-animals-selected-light-coloration.jpg

Here are two photos of the second-generation offspring from the darker parents. They were in two tanks, so there are two photos.

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture24711-f2-dark-offspring-tank-1.jpg

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture24712-f2-dark-offspring-tank-2.jpg

And here are the second-generation animals from the light colored parents:

jennewt-albums-cynops-cyanurus-mass-rearing-picture24713-f2-light-offspring.jpg

Sawyer

Reaction score
What a great experiment. Thanks for taking the time to allow the rest of us to results of breeding selected animals.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am very curious how this turned out

I'm not sure what you mean. The results are posted above. If the photos aren't obvious... I would say that the poll choice #3 was correct.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Oh I missed the pictures somehow ... thank you. Its very interesting to know.

stanleyc

Reaction score
Are you planning on continuing this experiment for another generation?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1