C. e. ensicauda - a long road to breeding!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sometimes I tell people that breeding newts is like growing bonsai trees. It can take a long time to see things take shape. Here's an example.

12/2001 Obtained 2 wild-caught C. e. ensicauda males from another hobbyist. The other hobbyist didn't want them because, although acquired as a "pair", they were both male.:(

1/2003 Obtained CB C.e.e. eggs. Raised 16 to metamorphosis. Eventually shared 12 of them with other hobbyists. They grew slowly, so I continued to keep the CB youngsters separately from the 2 adult WC males.

2005-2006. Two of the CB animals died (different causes). I experimented with putting the largest CB female in with the males, but they hassled her too much, and she wasn't large enough yet.

8/2006. Moved the 2 WC males and the 2 CB females into a tank together, at long last!;)

6/2007. Discovered a larva in the tank. (Hadn't noticed any eggs!):ufo:

7/2007. Re-discovered the offspring after metamorphosis and removed it to a terrarium. One additional larva has been spotted in the tank, so it will hopefully have a sibling.

The photos show the 4 adults together at feeding time, each adult separately, and the new morph.

Attachments

• Cee2.jpg
    Cee2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 406
  • Cee_male1.jpg
    Cee_male1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Cee_male2.jpg
    Cee_male2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Cee_female1.jpg
    Cee_female1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 349
  • Cee_female2.jpg
    Cee_female2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Cee1.jpg
    Cee1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Wow! That's determination!

It's probably a lot more rewarding the longer it takes for everything to work the way you want. I hope I can have the same success you had with this species, they're one of my favorites! Your adults are beautiful.

That’s a really great story, Jen. 1 larva seems an odd number; perhaps you have some avid egg eaters! You’ll have to update this thread when they breed next year :D.

Your storry gives me hope that some day my C. pyrhogaster will breed.
I have been keeping two males since last summer and it seems impossible to find female. Maybe after five years I'll find my first morph :)

Great story Jen, are you going to remove the additional larvae or just let nature take it's course just like with it's brother/sister?

Wow, thats great Jen. its nice to hear another success story on the forum.

I'm putting live blackworms into the adults' tank, and I think the brother/sister will be fine. These days, I raise all my C. e. popei this way. The adults are too slow, or too lazy, to eat the larvae.

2/2008 Update. Egg laying has started again; eggs and larvae are being found in more typical numbers.:D

2/2008 Update. Egg laying has started again; eggs and larvae are being found in more typical numbers.:D

That's always good to hear Jen!

hi jen i was just wondering what you house your morphs in and what do you feed them???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back