Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cannibalistic Tiger?

JessKB

Reaction score
I went to the reptile show in Taylor MI with Neotenic Jaymes last weekend and a vendor had a couple tigers that appear to have physical cannibalistic attributes. Both specimens have very wide, flat heads. They certainly don't look like normal tigers.

Here's pictures of the one I purchased:
DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg
DSC_0233.jpg
DSC_0238.jpg
What do you guys think? cannibal tiger? or just weirdly shaped?

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Mine have slightly flatter and wider heads than normal but i keep two together and they haven't attacked or eaten each other yet?

Yours does have a bigger head than mine....maybe someone else can shed some light on it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jasper408

Reaction score
No one is posting, so I'll add my .02. It doesn't look swollen and it definitely looks like the jaws a cannibalistic tiger would have. I was curious about what the head shape would look like after morphing, and it seems to retain its shape. I wonder if its cannibalistic tendencies remain.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Took me a while to take pics but its done. After an hour of wrangling and getting dirt all over my phone, here are the pictures. Notice the difference in head shape and size. Bottom jaws are visible from top view and snout is very much longer. This Tiger Salamander was larger than the one JessKB got.

Meets all criteria of (cannibalistic Tiger Salamander). Though I couldn't find any pictures of Cannibal Tiger Salamanders anywhere for comparison, besides skull sketches. I did do some reading and most or all the articles mentioned larger head size, larger mouths, elongated vomer/snout and enlarged recurved teeth. Though I haven't checked the teeth, doubt that I will. The seller said they were cannibal morphs but I had to look into it myself.

Cannibalistic individuals have been recorded in multiple species of Tiger Salamanders. Though most individuals are or can be cannibals only few change into the cannibal morph. One article suggests that populations that do have cannibal morph Tigers Salamanders usually means that all the Tiger Salamanders in that population have the genetic cues to become a cannibal morph. The cannibal morph process begins when they're larvae.

Here are the pictures, some of the pictures in the comparison shots aren't all mine.

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1,341
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,137
  • image_5.jpg
    image_5.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 3,568
  • image_7.jpg
    image_7.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,238
  • image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,420
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 705
  • image_6.jpg
    image_6.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 2,471

JTinker92

Reaction score
so does a cannibal show aggression towards the handle if you try to pick it up or whats so bad about them.:confused: i mean whats the difference if you had one in captivity?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!