Caudata.org Grant Poll

Which Project should get the 2009 Caudata.org Grant? (READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE VOTING)

• Distributional modelling and ecological research on Salamandra algira in Morocco with emphasis on di

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Effect of magnetic nanoparticles on newt behavior - Notophthalmus viridescens

• Conservation status and systematics of Chiropterotriton multidentatus (Caudata: Plethodontidae) - Ch

• Is chytridiomycosis affecting Appalachian salamanders? - Appalachian salamanders

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Habitat preferences of the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) within its refugee’s canals - Axolotl/Ambys

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Pandi mushroom-tongue salamander Project: Conservation status assessment of a threatened Andean sala

• Comparative landscape genetics of two amphibians endemic to the Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt of Centr

• Systematics of the Pseudoeurycea cephalica group - Pseudoeurycea cephalica

• Conservation Genetics of Hellbender Salamanders in New York: the use of mtDNA for Population Structu

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • The Salamanders of the Valley de Sibundoy-Mocoa (Putumayo, Colombia) transect - Colombian Bolitoglos

• Continued Surveys for the Fungal Pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in Georgia Salamander Assem

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Systematics and phylogeny of the species complex Bolitoglossa franklini / lincolni (Caudata: Plethod

• Variation in Four-toed Salamander, Hemidactylium scutatum, Microhabitat Use Across Age Groups and Se

• Population status, presence of Batrachochythridium dendrobatidis (Bd) and the effect of the Transoce

• Survey and assessment of aquatic salamander species in the French Creek Drainage of the Allegheny Ba

• Captive propagation of Endangered Guatemalan Salamanders - Guatemalan Bolitoglossa

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Survey of Chytrid fungus presence on the three species of salamanders in Peru - Bd in Peru

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't contribute to this donation drive, as I don't feel that my personal finances as a zookeeper are my strongest asset for contributing to amphibian conservation ;)

However, to play devil's advocate to what is now a clear leader in this donation drive...

Both of the hellbender populations being assessed in #9 fall within areas which were glaciated during the Wisconsinan (most recent) glaciation event, ending roughly 10,000 years ago. Although the Susquehanna River is unique in that it contains the only hellbender population which does not reside within the Mississippi River watershed, 10,000 years is a blink of an eye in terms of salamander mitochondrial genetics and I think it is highly unlikely that much, if any, genetic differentiation would be detectable between these two rivers. Broader scope genetic analyses have already been conducted on this species (Sabatino and Routman 2008; Routman et al. 1994; Routman 1993) which, as expected, showed that the deep genetic divergences occur in the southern populations. Sabatino and Routman (2008) included samples from both the Susquehanna and Ohio River watersheds and found them to be indistinguishable. Though this study may provide data which helps the state of New York allocate it's hellbender research resources, it probably won't have a major impact on salamander (or even hellbender) conservation writ large.

Though the hellbender's plight is extremely serious, a LOT of research attention and funding (relative to other salamanders) has already been directed at this species. It is on the verge of being federally listed, which will likely result in this attention and funding being vastly increased.

In the interest of transparency, it should be pointed out that I am affiliated with one of the other applications indirectly. It wasn't an easy decision to comment in this thread, because of that potential bias, though in the end I figure that I am a caudata.org member who may have more information at his disposal than others do, and my input might be useful. My comments above stem from my experience with salamander genetics rather than a bias towards other applications. I want to see this grant be used in a way which provides the greatest salamander conservation bang for your donation buck :)

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
Just an fyi, there will be a second poll based on the applications that got most votes. I'm still mulling over whether or not this next poll will be decided by a committee or a poll like this one.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
John - any further thoughts on the method to be used to make the grant award?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
I'm going to take the applications that received 2 or more votes and form a small committee to decide which should get the grant. I'll try to have this going in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Does anyone know if aquacare general tonic is ok for axolotls as a treatment for bacterial or fungal infection?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi Lilith, you can check the medications page for a list of axolotl safe treatments. Although if the infection is mild, I would stick with fridge and salt baths!
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    I believe the fridge gets to about 54°, so if you can replicate that in the tank, it might be okay. I personally would fridge just to make catching them easier, and if the infection is something in the water column at all, it will hopefully die out while they're AWOL (I'm thinking like ich for fish, not sure if axies have an equivalent)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Ok, thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • chitoos:
    My three inch axolotl was having trouble pooping up to a few days ago. I wasn't feeding her as often because I was scared I would just add to her constipation. I fridged her until she pooped (twice), and then began to feed her around 6 bloodworms every other day. she's been pooping everyday now, but she's at that age where you can see through her stomach and I always see poop ready to come out but has not yet passed. I don't think she's constipated anymore, but I'm not sure and i don't want to over or underfeed her... any advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Feed it chopped worms chitoos, its big enough and bloodworm is nutritionaly deficient.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Freeze dried , live or frozen bloodworm.
    +1
    Unlike
  • chitoos:
    Oh ok thanks! I thought she might be ready for something more. do you have any advice about the apparent poop problem?
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Lilith, fridging is not required for fungus treatment. Read my thread on treatment.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Feed it more, six bloodworm isnt much, dont use freeze dried foods
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Feed daily , remove uneaten food
    +1
    Unlike
  • chitoos:
    Gotcha, Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Its probably not pooping because its hardly beign fed, it pooped in the fridge because the lower temp caused it to purge itself. If it stays constipated you can pm me
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Hi guys. Quick question. I have newly morphed eastern newt efts. They lost their gills but they still prefer the water. I have coconut fiber, moss, hidey holes and some food in the temporary habitat for them (waiting for the other newts to morph as well). But they still run back to the water. Is it the wrong substrate? Do they prefer something other than coconut fiber? I've been doing everything else properly (According to my research) but just wondering why they haven't ventured up. Have any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My guess is they simply have no reason to leave. Do they still get enough food in the water? Maybe humidity is too low?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    I spray mist the place every day. And I do still feed him. One of them has finally come out. But now I have another problem. They don't look like eastern newts! I am posting pictures on a thread I've started. If you can, take a look for me and see. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Herphunter has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    Hi guys. Can someone please tell me the sex of my axolotl. I thought I knew for the past four years but a breeder told me I was wrong. PayPal: Your security code is: 138208. It expires in 10 minutes. Don't share this code with anyone.
    +1
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    I'm sorry, please disregard the last part. Thought I pasted a photo
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    NewbieAxie has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: NewbieAxie has left the room. +1