chinese firebelly on his own : would he like company ?

NewtLover

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
i have a cfb in a 35 litre tank on his own

he seems pretty happy

but would he enjoy a bit of company

if so i will get another cfb

Newts aren’t social animals so you shouldn’t worry about it being lonely. Newts kept alone will normally be less active than ones kept in pairs or groups. They won’t interact much but their activity will stimulate one another to move around more. Obviously, if you have a sexed pair you’ll get more interaction at certain times of the year :happy:.

Your tank sounds big enough for a couple of newts and yes, only get the same species. Mixing species is a bad idea.

35 litters= to how many gallons? Sorry for I'm American.

Just about every animal in the wild spends at least some time with other members of it's species. They do fine living solitary lives but you can't expect to see a full range of behaviors from the animal without interacting with another tank mate. Just follow the simple guidelines, get another newt of the same species and of the same reletive size. Make sure you can accomodate another, assuming you have a 10g tank that is okay for 2. And you'll also want to seriously consider putting the new one under quarantine for a couple of weeks to observe it and make sure it's okay before entroducing him into the tank with the existing one.

My suggestion, if you have a Male, dont get another male, as yours might get territorial and try to kill the new male. If you have a female another female is fine, even a male, but think about the possibility they might breed.

My male newt has been by himself for 9 years, yeah he is bored and chases his reflection, but on the other hand there is no worry over competition from another newt.

If the newt is a CFB, there is no chance of one male killing another. However, there is also no need to provide company. It does seem that many of the longest-lived newts are ones that live alone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back