Computer Cooler for Tanks?

mozzer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Toni
I have searched through tank cooling ideas. I didn't find anything using computer liquid water cooling systems.

I noticed that most aquarium chillers are pricey. I was thinking that this Amazon.com: Cooler Master Seidon 120V - PC CPU Liquid Water Cooling System, All-In-One Kit with Compact 120mm Radiator and Fan: Computers & Accessories

could be setup to cool an aquarium tank. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried this technique. I know a lot have used computer fans, but I am more interested in trying something else. If you think something like that could be used, how do you think it could be set up??

Thanks for any help! :D

Aplestris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :D
IHTW Reptiles on Youtube uses them. He places them on top of his tank and they look to work well. Sorry i can not link it as i am on my phone.
PS: sorry i don't have enough time to message you atm :(

ntny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ntny
i think it might work for small tank like 5 -10gallons.

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Jake
Yeah, I think the same as ksc133, I don't think it will have much of an effect on the temperature unless the tank is small enough. Even then, I still don't think it would be efficient enough.

mozzer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Toni
Thanks guys. I was thinking on using it for a 10 gallon tank. :p I'm looking into some other ideas too though. I am wondering how long the hoses would need to be, so I am going to take a trip to the computer store for research. :rolleyes: I'm thinking I might try going with the mini fridge ideas I've seen on youtube. They seem more realistic.. LOL

Aplestris, no problem about the messaging. I know you are busy having fun! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • MVM1991:
    As long as its cleaned yeah! You can even make overhangs if you have enough pieces to make nice caves and platforms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My pleasure! River rocks work well too, and go rather well with all kinda lung less salamanders,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinky:
    So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there aren't right?! Like too low not too high, anybody any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It’s very dry in Colorado. I make sure to spritz every night so while I’m sleeping. I have a nifty hydrometer that I got from Walmart. It tells me blue, green, red; too little humid, good, too much respectively. It’s been helpful to me.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It tells me temperature AND humidity.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: Redear has joined the room. +1