Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cork bark

J

jesper

I'm having problems with my islands....
Islands aren't supposed to float around you know..
Obviously my imagination isn't very good since I can't come up with an idea on how to get them to stop. I don't want to glue them!

How have you guys solved it?

C

coen

All I can think of is attaching it to a fishing wire and attach that fish wire to a rock, but that might be too dangerous for the animals. Maybe attach it too something else, and camouflage the link with waterplants or something like that

C

christina

I think having floating islands is kinda cool, actually :)

But obviously you don't, soo.... I like the wire idea, you could wrap the wire in some kind of moss/hang small rocks around it to disguise it and protect the aminals from the wire.

- Yav

S

shaun

Buy a few aquarium safe plastic plants with suction cups, bury the tops in the island and stick the suction cups to the side of the tank! Problem solved!

P

paul

i use a magnetic algae scraper under each side to stop movement

J

jesper

That's really smart, now why didn't I think of that! Now it's just a matter of finding those scrapers cheap...hehe...the are like 10 euro each here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1