Curious About Lungless Salamanders

AidanD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aidan
I've recently gotten back into the newt/salamander hobby with the introduction of some Triturus marmoratus to my collection. They are going well so far, and I'm hoping to get into something new and different. I have a spare 36 gallon bowfront aquarium that can act as either an aquarium, paludarium, or terrarium depending on what I end up getting to stock it. Back to the point, I've always been fascinated by Plethodontids, though my geographic region doesn't yield any for my own personal collection nor have I ever seen CB individuals for sale. To anyone who does have experience I'm curious: Do you recommend these animals for an intermediate keeper such as myself, and if so is it possible to find them captive bred? I'm interested in learning what species are good for newbies to Plethodontids, what species might work for the housing I mentioned, and troubleshooting for their care.

Thank you!

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only Plethodontids I've kept have been red backed salamanders. They seem easy enough. I did not breed them.
Few people breed Plethodontids. However, there is an individual who was advertising several species a while back, who you might contact.
Here's a link to the website:

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've recently gotten back into the newt/salamander hobby with the introduction of some Triturus marmoratus to my collection. They are going well so far, and I'm hoping to get into something new and different. I have a spare 36 gallon bowfront aquarium that can act as either an aquarium, paludarium, or terrarium depending on what I end up getting to stock it. Back to the point, I've always been fascinated by Plethodontids, though my geographic region doesn't yield any for my own personal collection nor have I ever seen CB individuals for sale. To anyone who does have experience I'm curious: Do you recommend these animals for an intermediate keeper such as myself, and if so is it possible to find them captive bred? I'm interested in learning what species are good for newbies to Plethodontids, what species might work for the housing I mentioned, and troubleshooting for their care.

Thank you!
I havent been on here in a long time, but I run Indoor Ecosystems. A 36 gallon tank would make a nice display for something like Eurycea lucifuga, that is colorful, active, and would use the vertical space that tank provides. I do breed them and usually have them available.

Reactions: sde
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! We had our first unexpected hot day and I was an idiot and forgot to put on the fan for my axolotl tank. When I came to feed her at around 7, I noticed the tank was 75 degrees!! It has never been this warm, it’s always a stable 67ish without a fan. It was only this warm for today (yesterday it was normal temps), and I immeditately got the fan on when I saw. It is down to 69 degrees now. Is my axie going to be ok with the increase in temperature for a day?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Oh that’s in Fahrenheit by the way, I think in Celsius it almost got up to 24 c if I’m not mistaken
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Axie is showing no signs of stress whatsoever
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    A short temp spike is unlikely to cause any long term probs
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • gemdimps:
    Hi 👋🏻 I am desperately seeking cycling advice
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    NewtPoot has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RCWaterPets has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Carly1502:
    Hi guys, I have a dwarf axolotl. Got him/her in February and since it’s grown to around 4.5 inches it has constantly been constipated. Having to fridge the poor thing every few weeks. Has anyone else got a dwarf and had these problems?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    my cousin has a dwarf, he thankfully doesn’t have such problems. good luck though :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Hey guys, one of my axolotls has developed some fungus on one of her gills, I've started salt baths, but do salt baths need to be done in the fridge, some people said I should have her in the fridge permanently during the process, even when not in the salt bath, is this true? As some people said its unnecessary as long as the tank is below 20°c which it is. Also do I need to get them both out the tank and clean it out?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nagato:
    Does anybody know where I can find Triturus karelinii?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has left the room.